Safe to Have Laser Hair Removal on Scarred Area?

I've had laser resurfacing done on my face 5 years ago, and it has left me with a scar above my lip where I'm thinking of having laser hair removal. Do you think it's safe to have laser hair removal over a scarred area?

Yes, Laser Hair Removal is safe for scarred areas.

As long as there is no pigmentation over the scar and the area is healed completely, laser hair removal is safe. Choosing a diode laser with a smaller tip will give you faster results.

Test spotting the area first, with lower energy to make sure that the skin can tolerate the laser is very important. If the scarred area is very sensitive I would recommend using a cooling device during the treatment to minimize the discomfort.

9843 Gross Point Rd
Skokie, IL 60076

Safe laser hair removal over scarred area

In highly trained and experienced hands, there should be no problem in having laser hair removal over a scarred area. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

4256 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M3H 5Y8

Laser Hair Removal over a scar

Hi Norma,

It should not be a problem to have laser hair removal over your scar, even if it is pigmented (colored). If your scar is textured (bumpy) there is no issue at all. Same if the scar is red. If the scar is colored, you can still have laser hair removal although you may need a different type of laser (Nd:Yg) if there is clots of color. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

23211 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505

Have a test spot done first

It might be wise to have a test spot first to make sure you don’t have a bad reaction. If your skin responds well than the whole area can be treated with less chance of a problem occurring.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016