Laser Hair Removal for Scalp Hair?

Realizing that a greater percentage of scalp hair is anagen in comparison to body hair, are fewer treatment sessions required to remove dark scalp hair on persons with light skin tone? How many Laser hair removal treatments are needed to remove scalp hair?

Laser hair removal of scalp hair

+2

You are absolutely correct. Since most hair on the scalp is in anagen or growth phase, removal of scalp hair is much easier. That is especially true if the hair is dark and the scalp is light. It may even be as few as two treatments. However, I would do that area with extreme caution since it is likely to be permanent there and if you ever decide to grow hair there again, you will not be able to do that. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal of the scalp

+1
In my Raleigh NC laser hair removal center, we do not offer laser hair removal to the scalp. Not only is it incredibly painful, but a man can end up with patches on his scalp that are almost disfiguring. Due to the extremely long growth cycle of the head vs. short growth cycles on the body we do not think it makes sense to treat the scalp. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Reducing scalp hair with laser

+1

We have used laser hair removal to permanently remove hair from men who get hair bumps from shaving their heads. If hair does grow back it is a miniature hair follicle, the kind that would not form hair bumps.

Be sure thats what you want because this hair will NOT usually grow back. Treatment is done at 3 to 4 week intervals for at least 6 sessions.

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Laser removal of scalp hair

+1

Despite the active growing cycle of the anagen hairs on the scalp, it normally will take 8 or more treatments to reduce the hair growth substantially. The treatments are done approximately once per month.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Laser hair removal for scalp

+1

You sound like an ideal candidate for laser hair removal. I would still say that 5 or so treatments are probably necessary to obtain your desired results. I hope my answer was helpful.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist