Can Laser Hair Removal Be Used to Safely Remove Hairs On/near Moles?

I will be having laser hair removal treatment on my face. I have a mole which has unsightly hairs growing out of it, is it safe to have this hair treated also?

Laser moles safely

+2

Moles can be lasered safely for hair removal.  Sometimes the mole will get a bit darker after the treatment and might flake a bit, leaving the mole somewhat lighter than it was.  However, the settings can be low enough to not fade the mole, but high enough to remove the hair. 

If the hair is blonde or gray, your best bet would be removal of the mole or electrolysis.

Redding Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal over mole should be safe

+2
It should be safe to treat this area, but realize that the pigment in the mole is going to absorb some of the energy of the laser and the settings of the laser may need to be adjusted to make sure the mole skin is not injured.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal can be performed over moles

+1

Laser hair removal can be performed over moles. When used judiciously the laser energy should pose no danger to a mole.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Hair removal near a mole

+1

Absolutely!  In the right hands, any area of the body can be treated safely and effectively with laser hair removal.  Just be sure that the laser is suited for your particular skin type.

Corey L. Hartman, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal on Moles with Hair is Generally Safe

+1

With correct settings, laser hair removal can be effecively used to treat hair on almost any body area, including over moles.  If the mole is dark or pigmented, the laser energy may need to be adjusted in order to avoid any complications.  

Timothy G. Rodgers, MD
Frisco Dermatologist