Is Laser Hair Removal Recommend for Patients with Eczema?

I am a 30 yo male with eczema on my back and was considering laser hair removal for my back. Is it recommended, any possible negative effects for my eczema?

Laser hair removal with underlying eczema

+3

Depending on how extensive and severe the eczema is. If you first treat the eczema and cleared it laser hair removal can be performed. After treatment you may need to use some lubricant or mild steroid creams.

Laser Hair Removal is Safe in Eczema Patients

+3

Even with active patches of eczema in the area, laser hair removal is perfectly safe. Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates deep into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat.  This light energy is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles.  The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, just long enough to destroy numerous follicles at a time and leaves the surrounding skin unaffected. Prior to your treatment you should follow a vigorous regimen to get your eczema under control such as using a prescription-strength cortisone cream as well as a good moisturizing lotion on a daily basis.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/laser-hair-removal/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

LHR and Eczema

+3

You should make sure there are no open wounds when you have your laser hair removal, such as excessively scratches areas.  Use over the counter hydrocortisone ointment (or prescription cortisone cream if you have any) to any eczema areas on your back for the week prior to the treatment.  Numbing creams can irritate scratched or itchy patches, so it's best if you can get your dermatitis under control prior to applying the numbing cream.

Other than that laser hair removal should not effect your eczema at all.

Good luck

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser hair removal and eczema

+1

If there are erosions, open sores, then those areas should be avoided because of colonization of normal bacteria.  If there are no open sores, then maintaining eczema treatment with emollients and avoiding hot water and using mild soap is important before and after the laser hair removal.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/laser-hair-removal/index.html

Laser hair removal is safe in patients with eczema

+1

Laser hair removal (LHR) is safe in patients with eczema.  Ideally, eczema can be brought under control first in areas where LHR is to be performed as to avoid irritation and skin breakdown.  Good moisturisation, topical steroids or topical immunomodulators can help bring it under control.

Toronto Dermatologist