Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment for Light Indian Skin?

I'm a north Indian female with a relatively fairer complexion and black coarse hair on the face, esp. on the chin and neck. Which is the most effective and safest laser hair removal treatment for me? It is said that Nd:YAG is suitable for dark skinned people like Indians, but I am not dark. My complexion is between fair to medium. Is it true that the hair grows back once the treatment ends?

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

+1

Thank you for your question. A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck!

Which laser for hair removal?

+1

The lasers for light skin such as a 755nm alexandrite are more effective at hair removal, but patients with skin of color (even a little bit of color) cannot tolerate this laser at high enough energies to be effective. The ND:Yag laser is the best laser for skin of color. What you gain in safety you lose in efficacy (to some extent). The ND:Yag is very effective for dark and for coarse hair, it loses some of the efficacy on finer hair. You may be "between" the two lasers, but for people who are "in between" I tend to err on the side of safety and use the ND:Yag. See a dermatologist who has both lasers and he or she will help you decide.

It is not true that the hair grows back once the treatment ends. Some may grow back, but a lot of it will be permanently gone.

Miami Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.