Which Laser Hair Removal is Best Use for Light to Medium Golden Asian Skin with Black Hair?

The target area is upper lip and underarm. Light sheer diode or Gentlelase Alexandrite? Thank you

Laser hair removal in asian skin

+2

Since you have had some conflicting advice, let me add that I agree that the NdYag is safest but the Lightsheer is likely a safe choice as long as you are not tanned at all.  Alexandrite may also work well.  The most important thing is that you are evaluated by a physician who has a lot of experience in laser hair removal.

Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Which Laser for Asian Hair?

+2

Hi Latte.   We see that you do not really need our help!   You have identified 2 excellent lasers for your skin and hair type.

Although the Yag laser that was suggested works well for darker skin types and very coarse hair, it will not work well for you.  The Lumenis Lightsheer and Gentlelase Alex are both great options. 

The Alexandrite lasers will have a slightly higher incidence of side effect like blisters, but can also help you finish your program in 1 or 2 less treatments.  If safety is your highest priority, go with the Diode.  If less treatments is your priority, then the Alex might be better.  Either way, choose a practitioner that is very experienced with your skin type.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Laser Hair Removal for Light Asian Skin

+2

It is difficult to answer this question without seeing you in person.  Please have an evaluation with a reputable physician before going forward.  If your skin is fair, you will do fine with the Alexandrite laser.  However, if you have olive undertones or tend to pigment/tan easily, the NdYag or the diode laser is best to avoid any hyper-pigmentation problems.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Asian patient Laser Hair removal

+2

It is difficult to decide the best laser hair removal device without actually seeing your skin. However, with the description of your skin and hair type, the safest and effective laser would be an NdYag laser, such as Candela GentleYag. Good luck!

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist

Laser hair removal in Asian skin

+1

A few devices would work for Asian skin, but more importantly is the safety issue because of the increased pigment. Make sure to go with a diode laser (e.g. Lightsheer duet) or Nd:Yag laser for safety reasons.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Choosing the best laser for hair removal

+1

I recommend you find a physician in your area that has the GentleMAX laser by Candela. This is the laser we use most in my office. It has BOTH the alexandrite laser as well as the NdYag laser so that when you are properly evaluated by the physician they will have the choice of the best laser for your skin type.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon