Laser Hair Removal for Fair Skinned British Indian?

I'm a British Indian guy with unsightly hair on face on the upper cheeks.  I have fair skin for an Indian as I live in England so sun exposure is minimal! I have been using factor 50 sun cream on sunny days too. I am 18 and have had hair on my upper cheeks, above where I shave for a while. I have tried waxing which has made it worse and some bits are thick and coarse now. What type of laser would be best and how do I avoid pigmentation/scars?

Laser hair removal for dark skin

+2

Laser hair removal in darker skinned individuals is safe thanks to advances in laser technology over the past few years. I personally use the Soprano laser and have treated many darker skinned and tanned patients without any adverse effects. Laser should be quite effective in the upper cheek area especially since some of those hairs are thicker and more coarse now after waxing- providing for an even easier target for the laser to treat. YAG lasers (1064nm) have also shown excellent efficacy and a good safety profile for hair removal in darker skin types. My best advice to avoid pigmentation/scars with treatment is to avoid sun exposure both before and after treatment, and be sure to have treatment with an experienced laser operator who regularly treats people of color. Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Laser Hair Removal

+1

Thank you for your question. A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck!