Is the Laser Hair Removal Still Effective Even if There is No Sign of Hair?

I am currently asking this question because I am not on my 3rd session and I have notice very little hair growth and I have been on scheduled sessions the first 5wks, second 6wks, and the 3rd 7wks, my fouth session is also set at 7wks. Theres very little hair growth less than 10 hairs each area. I have had my bikini, full legs, and under arms done. I always see that in this foro that the patient should have hair so that the laser can effectively penetrate the follicles but if there’s no hair?

Need to allow time for hair regrowth between treatments

+2

It sounds like your treatments have been scheduled way too close together.  Weekly hair removal treatments in the same area will not be effective.  You need some re-growth in order to treat the follicle, otherwise you are wasting your time.  Hopefully you purchased your hair removal treatments at a reputable clinic and they will allow you to space your treatments with more time than a single week in between.  I would recommend at least 6-8 weeks (more as treatments progress) between treatments.

Laser Hair Removal

+2

There should be a "stubble" of hair for laser to be effective.  The reason for this is that laser needs a black target for it to be effective and if there is no hair, there is nothing black to absorb the laser energy.

Armen Vartany, MD

How many treatments for laser hair removal?

+1

you may not see much hair, but the reason that there is regrowth after laser hair removal is that the regrowth that occurs below the skin is not seen for several days to weeks after treatment.  It is best to stick to the treatment regimen suggested by your doctor. 

Ronald Shelton, MD

Laser Hair Removal May Only Require a Few Sessions

+1

In general, two or more Laser hair removal treatments are required at each site. The laser is only effective when the hair follicle is in its active growth phase. Repeat sessions will be necessary to treat those follicles when they re-enter the growth phase.  Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates deep into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat.  This light energy is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles.  The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, just long enough to destroy numerous follicles at a time and leaves the surrounding skin unaffected. If you are no longer having hair growth in the treated areas you should wait until new hair grows before returning for further treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon