Will my Laser Hair Removal Burn Heal Without Scars or Hyperpigmentation?

Hi there, A week ago I went to the laser clinic for my 3rd treatment for hair removal and I got burned. This time around it was a different technician and she used the laser on my darker than normal skin (I have brown skin) so this caused me to get burned in that area. I'm concerned because I'm not sure if it will go back to normal. Will I be scarred or be left with different colored spots? How long will it take me to heal? Any help or advise will greatly be appreciated! Picture attached.

Laser Hair Removal Burn

+1

If you received laser hair removal and feel you may have been burned then please go by and see the doctor of the QUALIFIED place that you had the procedure done.  A qualified place will do their best to minimize any burning but since everyone's skin is different, this could happen.  On dark skin, the technician should start out on a lower level and slowly work their way up a little at a time.  This could cause the client to have to do more trips and have it take a bit longer, but it is necessary to get the desired results without causing an undesirable thing like hyper pigmentation. If you do find that you were burned, immediatly get a hold of someone at the place of business so they can advice you on steps to help minimize any scarring or hyperpigmentation.

"Dr.D"

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/med+spa-20/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation with laser hair removal

+1

If this area is your face, then there is less risk of permanent hyperpigmentation then when the laserhair removal is done on the legs. Often this is temporary, but with the use of lightening creams and sunscreens there is an expedited improvement. Sometimes doctors will also add Retin A prescription creams or use combination product lightening creams that have the Retina A within it. See a board-certified dermatologist to evaluate your condition.

Will laser hair removal burn leave a scar?

+1

Unfortunately there is no way to tell how this will heal.  Many superficial burns heal without a scar, but it also depends on location of the burn.  Some areas will tend to stay hyperpigmented much longer than others.

What do you mean by "used the laser on my darker than normal skin?"  Usually we advise patients not to be exposed to the sun for a month before the procedure so that their skin does not acquire extra pigment.  This extra pigment will make it more difficult for the laser to tell the difference between surface and hair and may result in a burn.

The only thing you want to do now is make sure you keep the area lubricated with a moisturizer made for sensitive skin.  Dry skin heals much worse than moisturized skin.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.