Laser Genesis For Melasma?

I just purchased a package from the Med Spa I go too. Laser genesis was included would that be safe to use if I have melasma? Would that make my melasma worse?

Laser Genesis for Melasma

+2

Hi SB.  We believe there is a better than 50% chance that Laser Genesis will worsen the Melasma.  While Laser Genesis may be able to help with some forms of skin pigment (sun spots or other surface pigment), Melasma is often a dermal pigmentary condition that resides deep in the skin.  This makes it difficult for lasers to treat and even when lasers are successful, the issue is never "cured".

We don't use lasers for several reasons.

1.  Our hydroquinone program (8%) works better.

2.  Lasers have the potential to make Melasma worse, even the q-switched lasers we use, which are the most accepted form of treatment still have this same issue.

3.  Only 50% of our laser patients improved their Melasma in our trials and with HQ 80% of our patients repurchase the product.

4.  Lasers are much more expensive and time consuming than an at home topical skin care program like high strength hydroquinone.  

We see no use for lasers as it relates to the treatment of Melasma (at least with today's current technologies).  Before and after pictures of the results using a hydroquinone based program can be seen at the link below.

Laser Genesis for Melasma

+1

Melasma lies deep within the skin's layers so it won't be affected positively by the Laser Genesis as that is a very superficial treatment for surface reds and browns. If your Med Spa doesn't know the answer to this question it concerns me that you aren't being treated at the right place... A prescription hydroquinone and everyday use of a good sunscreen are ideal for treating melasma. Deeper melasma may require other solutions.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD