Laser Genesis, Microdermabrasion, or Both for Acne Scars?

I have some acne scars and am going to a spa to get either a full course of microdermabrasion or a laser genesis treatment with microdermabrasion. I was wondering which one should I have, since the one with the laser will be only about 6 treatments, but the microdermabrasion can go up to 12? Which one is more effective for acne scars?

Laser Genesis

+1

Both can be effective, but if your skin is lite enough, you can have resurfacing done with a laser and the benefit will be greater. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scars laser and microdermabrasion

+1

There are so many treatments available for smoothing the surface of the skin, which makes it difficult for patients to choose which they should go for. The type of treatment you decide on should depend on exactly what results you are wanting, and your budget. If you are wanting to minimally and subtly improve the appearance of acne scarring, over time, then something like the laser genesis and microdermabrasion will be fine. If you are wanting immediate, more significant results in one to two treatments, then I would do a more ablative laser treatment, like the Mixto fractional CO2 laser resurfacing.

Alan M. Gardner, MD
Atlanta Dermatologist