Best Laser for Skin Maintenance? (photo)

I'm 38 and my skin is in good shape. I've had some fillers a little Botox on my forehead and use Retin A daily, but overall, wrinkles are not a concern for me at this point. I have however, started to notice the my skin is starting to lose some firmness. I've researched a variety of lasers, and am totally confused as a result. My question is this: what is the best laser for MAINTAINING a youthful appearance? Thanks

#Fraxel for skin maintenance

+2

in my opinion, Fraxel laser is the best laser for skin maintenance. but it is a laser that can also cause significant skin problems if not used by fully trained qualified medical personnal. I use it for my patients and they love it.

Skin Maintenance

+1

When you consider skin maintenance treatments, it is helpful to realize what changes are happening. Specifically, there is a natural decline in collage, elastin and hyaluronic acid in the skin after about age 30. Radiofrequency devices can stimulate production of these very factors.

Sublative is a superficial application of radiofrequency that can produce nice textural improvements and stimulates collagen production.

ePrime is a minimally invasive RF technique that stimulates new collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid to be produced by your skin. The results are incredibly natural and help to maintain your skin's youthfulness.

Todd C. Becker, MD, PhD
Boulder Dermatologist

Looks for Treatment Flexibility and Provider Experience

+1

Dear BlondMoray, you’re right in that there are many laser skin treatments available.  The key to determining which technology is most appropriate for your needs is to look at treatment flexibility and also your provider’s experience.  Most DOT and fractionated laser treatments offer patients the ability to treat both larger areas as well as target specific issues like hyperpigmentation and photo damage.  The other point to realize is that the skin does continue to age after laser treatment and change with exposure to environmental factors so additional treatments may be required in the future.

John L. LeRoy, MD, FACS

Light laser skin resurfacing with fractional co2

+1

The fractional co2 laser, with light depth penetration (LDP) can provide you with significant improvement to enhance skin quality without significant downtime. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Youthful Skin

+1

Hands down the best results I have obtained in my practice for MAINTAINING healthy skin appearance is:

1. Regularly scheduled BBL (3-4 x annually) - Pigment
  2. Regularly scheduled Microlaser peels (3-4 x annually) - Skin Texture
  3. Clarisonic Facial Cleanser (2 x Daily) - Exfoliation & Skin Texture
  4. Quality Sunscreen (Daily) - Prevention

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forever Young BBL

+1
Broad Band Light treatments on a regular basis are a safe, effective, non-ablative way to maintain the skin in conjuction with medical skin care.  Check out the latest research at the site below.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Thermage helps firm the skin

+1

If your main concern is loss of firmness, Thermage skin tightening may be best for you, combined with a non-ablative laser such as the Clear+Brilliant or Fraxel laser.  You should consult a board certified dermatologist who offers these treatments and can asses your skin to see which treatments would be best for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Laser choice

+1

In my practice, I evaluate a patients need by their concerns as well as what I see clinically.  For redness and brown spots, I typically suggest  photorejuvination with pulsed light therapy.  The treatments can be alternated with chemical peels or microdermabrasion.   The ND yag laser can also be used to treat these problems by using  a series of treatments.

If the problem is fine lines and texture abnormalities, I may suggest a fracionated radiofrequency treatment or fractionated CO2 laser.  

In summary there are a number of energy devices that can be used for maintanence therapy.   

Cynthia Golomb, MD
Miami Dermatologist

"Best" Laser for Skin Maintenance?

+1

Hi BlondMoray.  There is no Best laser for skin maintenance because each patient's issues are unique to that patient.  If one patient has more sun damage, but also want a rejuvenating effect we will use q-switched lasers.  If another patient has facial redness or Rosacea issues, we will use a pulsed dye laser.  Finally, we have ablative and non-ablative lasers (downtime and no downtime) for rejuvenation.  The laser chosen here depends on budget, downtime and potential benefits (no pain, no gain).  Bottom line is that you should attend a couple consultations and get some opinions while sitting in front of your practitioner.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Choosing a treatment

+1

It is best to have a thorough assessment with a reputable practitioner to really determine which treatment will be best for your skin type. Be sure to do your research and choose a well-credentialed physician!

Sam Naficy, MD