Laser on Finger? (photo)

Is it safe to use a laser on a slightly raised hypertrophic scar on my left thumb? Would a fat flap from my abdomen be effective? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Laser for finger scar hypertrophy

+1

Conservative management should be attempted first.  On the finger, a photograph does not tell the whole story and it may be worthwhile to consider re-excision of the scar and closure, particularly if there is a functional deficit.  A abdominal fat transfer is completely out of line for something of this sort.

Laser on Finger?

+1

Laser therapy might improve. But fat graft from abdomen is much more invasive and expensive. Hard to decide for you. 

Improving scars on the hands and fingers

+1

A combination of IIT and pulsed dye laser may help improve this finger scar and improve tactile sensation.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hypertrophic scar

+1

If your scar was due to surgical trauma and there is no other cause for the hypertrophy it will get better by itself with just the passage of time and some massage.

This will usually take as little as afew months and as long as one year. Be aggressive with the pressure. If it does not improve the orientation of the scar may need to be changed, but i would wait at least 9-12 months before seeking additional treatment!

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS