When Can I Have Laser Eye Surgery After Being on Accutane?

I have been off of Accutane for 3 months and am considering laser eye surgery....how long should I wait? Is it like the waiting time for any other type of laser skin surgery?

Laser Eye Surgery (LASIK) After Taking Accutane

+1

I recommend that you wait six months after discontinuing Accutane before having LASIK. This primary has to do with the fact that Accutane causes dry eyes which is not conducive to healing after LASIK or even PRK.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Any dry eye symptoms should be under control before Laser Eye Surgery

+1

Many factors must be considered, but generally a 6 month wait is recommended.  Most importantly, however, is that any dry eye signs and symptoms be under control.

Christopher Coad, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Accutane and Dry Eyes

+1

The consideration for those using Accutane is the issue of dry eyes is extremely important.  Dryness is a major side effect of Accutane and we recommend discontinuation for at least three months before a LASIK procedure as well as concomitant dry eye therapy with drops like Restasis.  In addition, flax seed oil and punctal plugs may be necessary before a normal return of tear function is seen.

Mark Golden, MD
Chicago Ophthalmologist

Lasek after accutane

+1
One month after accutane is ok if you get puncial plugs and use Restasis and maybe Lacrisert preop before LASEK

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Accutane and Laser Eye Surgery

+1

I will generally have a patient wait 6-12 weeks after stopping Accutane before performing Laser Vision Correction(LASIK or PRK). The reason for this is that Accutane can cause some dryness of the eyes while a patient is on it. In order to avoid any compounding of dry eye after LVC, it is better to wait this period before proceeding.

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Laser Eye Surgery after Accutane Use

+1

Accutane affects one's healing.  It is usually recommended that you discontinue Accutane for six months before laser eye surgery.  I would speak with your dermatologist to confirm what they recommend.

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist