Can a Laser or Chemical Peel to the Under Eye Area Aggravate Edema?

I have sagging and crepy skin under the eye and I am considering a chemical or laser peel. However, I also have puffiness, in part, due to occasional edema (and fillers, as seen by my prior questions). I was told a bleph might actually aggravate the edema by interfering with lymphatics as could a laser or chemical peel. How likely is it for a laser or chemical peel to worsen edema (post-recovery), if patient is predisposed to occasional under eye puffiness? Have you seen this happen?

+1

Laser resurfacing, chemical peels and blepharoplasty will all cause temporary edema during the healing period. Lasers and chemicals and surgery can tighten the skin of the lower eyelid. Surgery is the only option that will also address lower eyelid "bags."

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers and Chemical Peels Can Improve Lower Eyelid Puffiness

+1

When done correctly, chemical peeling and laser resurfacing can improve puffiness (edema) of the lower eyelids.  The treatment itself (laser or chemical peel) will cause temporary edema, but when that resolves, the result should be a tighter, less puffy lower lid with less wrinkles and fine lines. The most important thing after having either a laser treatment or chemical peel to the lower eyelids is to be diligent with your wound care and stay out of the sun. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

+1

Lower eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty) is an excellent option to reduce puffiness and edema in the lower eyelids.  A chemical peel will help with fine lines and temporary skin tightening but will do nothing to reduce the puffiness. 

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Laser resurfacing and chemical peels can help puffiness in the lower eyelids.

+1

Laser resurfacing and chemical peels can help puffiness in the lower eyelids.Aging and sun damaged lid skin swells more easily, especially in those with allergic tendencies. Both laser and peels thicken skin to make it more elastic and youthful. Of course there will be temporarily increased swelling after these procedures, but this fades away in time.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Unfortunately there is no substitute for a personal consultation.

+1

For the right patient, a chemical peel can be a powerful way of correcting the lower eyelid puffiness without the need to do actual eyelid surgery.  Laser resufacing and chemical peels are associated with swelling but there is absolutely no evidence that these procedures damage lower eyelid lymphatics.