The Laser Bra Technique - Beside the Branded Name, is It in Fact a Better Way to Lift, Tighten and Reduce Breast Volume?

I've seen the pat response that the Laser Bra is marketing. I'm less interested in the application of a laser during this procedure but am entirely intrigued by the idea of using external skin as an internal support for breast tissue. Is this form of breast support used by other surgeons under a different name? If so, what are some of these names? Does it in deed provided longer lasting results in comparison to just re-tightening skin around breast tissue?

Laser Bra Breast Lift

+3

Although the “Laser Bra” is a marketing tool, the theory behind it is sound. It leaves a significant amount of the dermis (the support layer of the skin) intact after removing the epithelium (the outer layer). This de-epithelialized dermis is then used to support the incisions. The epithelium can be removed with a laser or a knife. It does not matter. I personally use a knife. Many other surgeons do likewise. None have a name for the technique that I am aware of. My long-term results are better since I switched to this method many years ago.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Laser lift results seem the same

+3

Hi ErieGirl,

Just like you, as a plastic surgeon I am intriqued by the idea of using something to suspend the breast.  Something that will last a long time.  Plastic surgeons have described and used the skin (dermis only) to support the lifted breast.  Some have also used mesh and acellular dermal matrix (like Alloderm and Strattice) as an internal support mechanism.  I have used acellular dermal matrix with successful early results but more time must pass before I can compare this method's longevity to others.  In the laser lift, the epithelium of the skin is removed using a laser. This can also be done by hand.  To me the benefit of accomplishing this by applying a laser is not proven.  I am not aware of any data that shows that the laser when used in this way, results in long term tightening of the skin and thus does not stretch out over time.  When I look at the post-op pictures of patients treated in this way, and I assume these are fairly early postops, the results do not look better than typical results.  I look forward to seeing some published data on the long-term results of this procedure.  I never recommend a procedure to my patient without scientific proof that it is effective.  Hope this helps.  

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Laser bra breast lift is not a different breast lift

+3

The concept of the laser bra is to use the laser to remove the surface epidermis from skin that is then folded under to support the breast. A scalpel works very well for this purpose too, but surgeons who use this technique haven't given it a clever name since it is just a variation on the standard approach. It does not reduce the external scar, and doesn't work for every case because of the amount of skin required. There are tissue grafts of dermal matrix materials that are being developed for internal support of breast lifts, similar to Alloderm and Strattice which are used as an internal bra with implants.

Richard Baxter, MD

Laser Bra and Getting Upper Pole Fullness

+2

While the laser bra has some interesting components to it, I have seen no long-term before and afters. Dr Stevens presented his work at a meeting 8 or 9 years ago and the intial results were average to good in my opinion.  Again, I was hoping to see some longer-term "after" photos.

The best information has come to me from 2 other doctors who have done hundreds of lifts using 2 very different techniques to try get the upper breast full and permanently lifted.  These experts (Dr. Hall-FIndlay and Dr. Biggs) state that it's very difficult to get long-lasting upper pole fullness without an implant. My experience in over 300 LeJour breasts lifts is the same.

Its the amount of fat (soft) versus gland (tough and dense) in a woman's breast that really determnines the long-term support and lift the breast will keep.  Younger patients with firmer breasts get better, longer lasting lifts than older ones whose breasts are largely just fat.

Like scar creams, there are a lot of techniques out there because none of them solve this challenge effectively.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Laser Bra is a Phrase used to Market a Technique...

+2

Hi there-

Laser Bra... Lifestyle Lift.... Aqua Lipo... Naturalfill....Lunchtime lift.....

Unfortunately, in aesthetic surgery, there are many people trying to distinguish themselves and their practices in order to attract more patients...

If unable to do so based on the quality and reliability of their outcomes, some doctors resort to cute or misleading marketing- the goal being to make you think that something new or advanced is being done, when really its just an established technique being done with a different tool (which is often inferior).

With regard to the provision of internal support for the breasts in order to obtain the very best, most long lasting improvement in shape, I do think that we ought to do everything we can... But there is no need to introduce foreign materials to do so... Modern techniques allow for the remodeling and reconstruction of the breast internally with excellent long term outcomes independent of the use of lasers, skin substitutes, mesh, etc...

Find an honest, ethical, well-trained and reputable plastic surgeon and trust their judgement. Shopping for a cute technique is something you'd only regret later.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Lift Technique?

+1

I would suggest you concentrate your energy on finding a high-quality plastic surgeon as opposed to the best “technique”. Ultimately, what will matter is the end results of surgery;  choice of plastic surgeon ( not necessarily technique used)  will make the most profound difference.

Laser bra lift and reduction: hype?

+1

To my knowledge, I am not aware of a study that compares the techniques. Only the anectdotal reports of the surgeons that tout the benefits. So it really comes down to a matter of opinion. Ask a laser bra proponent for photos of patients who have had the procedure done 20 years ago!

Brand Name Surgery

+1

Brand name surgeries are just a sales technique are fancy ways of describing already established techniques or slight modifications that make no real difference.  My advice would be to have a traditional breast lift which is the gold standard for surgery.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Laser Bra Technique for breast lift

+1

There are a number of different ways to provide internal support to the breast tissue during a breast lift, including rearranging and suturing the breast tissue, or suspending it from the muscle. Using a laser rather than other surgical instruments during the surgery does not yield significant advantage to the appearance of the breast nor the longevity of the results.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Laser bra technique

+1

A laser bra technqiue is a marketing tool.  If you are talking about internal support with mesh or other material, this is not FDA approved.