What is "Laser Assisted" Liposuction?

Is "laser assisted liposuction the same as smart-lipo or how does it compare to traditional lipo? Also can an ob-gyn perform this kind of surgery under local anesthetcia?

Laser assisted liposuction relies on heat

+1

The laser is used to produce heat to help melt the fat as it is extracted during the liposuction procedure. It is also believed that the heat causes the skin to shrink through the formation of scar and the collegen produced during the healing cycle. There are many forms of liposuction, and the laser systems are one of many. We always suggest a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Laser assisted liposuction: Worth the risk?

+1

It can be difficult to sort through all the hype about various "brands" of liposuction, but liposuction of any type is surgery. Laser lipo, which goes by several different brand names, uses a laser to liquefy the fat before it is suctioned out. Although it is often hyped as being safer and less invasive, the use of the laser adds additional risks such as burns and because the laser probe is inserted in addition to the liposuction cannula it is by definition more invasive. The big promise of laser lipo is enhanced skin tightening but this is so minimal as to be insignificant in most cases.

Richard Baxter, MD

What is "Laser Assited" Liposuction - Smartlipo

+1

Laser assisted liposuction, also know as Smartlipo, is a technique which combines traditional tumescent liposuction with a use of a laser to decrease bruising, break fibrous tissue, destroy fat cells, and cause skin contracture. In my experience I have had excellent results with Smartlipo in the abdomen, arms, neck, flanks, and thighs due to the skin contracture. I routinely offer it to my patients at El Paso Cosmetic Surgery.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Laser Assisted Liposuction...

+1

Laser assisted liposuction is a generic term that refers to the use of one of the lasers ( SlimLipo, SmartLipo etc) to help with the breakdown of fat and tightening of the skin. The fat is still removed by a cannula and incisions are still necessary. Make sure you do your due diligence in terms of your health care provider. I am definitely prejudiced, but I believe that surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery are most likely to give you the most consistent and predictable results. Good Luck.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon