Long-term Damage from Laser Treatment for Acne Scars?

My son is 18 and has acne scars. They don't look so bad to me, but he seems to think laser treatment is best, but will this have long term damage on his skin? Is there any other cheaper and effective acne scar treatment?

Depends on the scars

+1

The options for acne scar treatments is wide. From very superfecial treatments such as microdermabrasions, chemical peels, dermabrasion, non-ablative and ablative lasers and surgery.

it depends on the scars themselfs. Ice pick type of scars require surgery. Superfical scars may do well with peels, dermabarsion or laser. the deeper the scar the more aggreasive the treatment.

If the laser is used properly by a physcian the chances of long term complications is minimal.

Good luck to both of you!

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment for acne scars

+1

If your son has the depressed variety of scarring, saline subcision and spot application of a strong chemical peel (e.g. phenol, TCA solution) may not only be more cost-effective, but maybe even more effective options for him.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist