Doctor Would Not Help Me Choose Implants, Now I Dislike my Choice?

Approx. 4 months ago I wrote this site asking why on my consultation visits that the surgeons would not help me choose my implants. According to the majority of the answers that I received, this seemed customary. It has been 3 months since my extended mastopexy with implants surgery and sure enough I chose ones that are too big. I am 5'1" I chose 475cc silicone HP. All that time, money, pain, and I hate the way I look. Boobs, hips with no waist, it makes me feel fat. Now what can I do?

Choosing implant size-patient or physician

+2

Hi, I am sorry that you did not like your result which I am sure is not what you envisioned. Choosing the size, shape and profile of the implants are critical part of the consultation process prior to your surgery. It's based on your goals and wishes as well as your body anatomy. Your surgeon should be able to at least advise you what's the safe and aesthetically pleasing implant size/shape selections. I wanted the implant selection process to be decided jointly between the surgeon and the patient. There are many tools available to help you and the surgeon determine what's ideal for you. Remember, what you verbalize, and visualize has to match with what your body allows. I suggest that first you go back to your surgeon and express your concerns and see what the options are available for you. If you are still uncomfortable with that plan, then seek 2nd or 3rd opinions until your are comfortable with the subsequent treatment plan.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Too Big Breast Augmentation

+2

I am sorry I missed your post.  Had I seen it, I would have told you that it really should NEVER be the patients choice. That is because implant sizing is crucial to reducing complications after breast augmentation surgery.  You did not provide photographs of your breasts, and although you are rightfully dissatisfied, you may in fact have 'picture perfect' results.  None the less, it is still not right.

What do you do now?  Go to another doctor that has a more natural aesthetic, and who adheres to dimensional planning.  You will probably end up with an intermediate profile (moderate plus or style 15, depending on manufacturer) implant that is in the low 300 cc range.  You may also need a revision of your lift; so sorry.  Your new surgeon's minimum requirements: Expertise in all aspects of cosmetic breast surgery, certification by the ABPS, membership with ASAPS.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Choosing Implant Size

+1

Implant size to an extent should be the patient's decision.  In general, I provide ranges in which I think an implant would be appropriate.  Then the patient tries on those implant selections.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

Revision of implants

+1

If you are unhappy with the size of your implants, then I suggest you go for a consultation to have them revised.

Implant size choice.

+1

Thanks for your question.  I'm can understand that you are frustrated if you feel that you are too large.  At this point the only thing you can really do is change out the implants to a smaller size.  Typically when I have patients that want to be either larger or smaller in your size range I would suggest changing to something 75-100cc smaller.  Obviously without actually seeing you I can't offer an exact number but that is a good estimate.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Too Big

+1

Hi, I am sorry that this has happened to you. You can certainly change your implants to a smaller size. It will help you to see sizers which are the actual implant size. You can see what size you have now, and compare it to a smaller size so that you know what you will get. In my office, I use 3D computer imaging to help predict that thepatient will love the size.

Michael Horn, MD

Your problem is not necessarily the implants, need to get very specific with your surgeon about your desires

+1

Often a breast lift with implants results in larger, still saggy breasts.  This seems to be more of what you are describing, as you state that now you have no waist.  I agree that you should discuss this with your original surgeon, as together you may be able to come up with a reasonable solution.  It is VERY important that you are specific and detailed about what you don't like about your breasts - if not you could easily have a revision that does not solve your concerns. You may find it helpful to look at before and afters - this could help you in your discussion with your surgeon.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Unhappy in Las Vegas

+1

If you are not happy with your results, you really should discuss your dissatisfaction with your surgeon. Make a follow up appointment and address your specific concerns about your breasts to the surgeon. Hopefully, you have established a good relationship with that surgeon and the practice to figure out a way to make you happier with your breasts.

Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Unhappy after Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction after breast surgery. At this point, it will be in your best interests to,  as objectively as possible, define exactly what it is that you “hate” about  the way you look. For example, if you determine that the problem is related to breast size,  then downsizing of breast implants may be an option.

I think your best bet is to follow-up with your plastic surgeon and communicate your concerns/questions in a calm and constructive fashion. Again, try to be as objective as possible.

You must try to define what you dislike about your breasts

+1

Thank you for the question.  It sounds like you are unhappy with the way your breasts look and perhaps also the way your breasts look in relation to your body.  Prior to undergoing any additional surgery or any additional breast revision surgery you must first try to the define very specifically what you dislike about your breasts and or what you dislike about your body.  There is a solution for you and there is a plastic surgeon out there to help you with your solution if surgery is the answer.  

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD