Breast augmentation scheduled for next wk. I take zolpidem 5mg (ambein) at night to help me sleep. Is this okay?

Hi, I was just wondering if it's okay to keep taking my sleep medication up until my breast augmentation surgery day. I don't plan on taking it after the procedure because I understand i should not mix them with my pain meds. But is it okay and safe to take now? 1 week until my surgery.

Sleeping pills

+2

It should be no problem, but make sure you okay it both with the surgeon and anesthesiologist. Good luck!

Ambien before surgery.

+2

This should not be a problem. I would let your surgeon and anesthetist know.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

BBA

+1
It is usually ok but you should call your PS and discuss this with them and your anaesthesiologist before your surgery.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Ambien before breast augmentation

+1

It is fine to use ambien before breast augmentation. Just let your surgeon know which medications that you are taking to avoid any misunderstanding or problems. Most patients don't need much pain medication with breast augmentation and you can probably use the Ambien after surgery as well.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Ambein prior to breast augmentation

+1

Taking 5mg of Ambien prior to your breast augmentation should not affect the surgery. However, check with your surgeon first. Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Meds and BA

+1

Should be fine. I would ask you to call your doc and his or her nurse can give you what they prefer. Best wishes!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Sleep meds

+1

The medication should not be a problem at all but check with your surgeon to make sure he has no objections. Good luck with your surgery.

Dr, Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping Pills

+1

Any medication has risks. Please make your surgeon and the anesthesiologist aware you are taking Ambien. I doubt they would cancel the surgery if you are healthy otherwise.

Richard P. Glunk, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Yes

+1

you can take it now but mention it to whoever is dministering your anesthesia 48 hours before. You are correct in not taking it with pain medication!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Before surgery

+1

It should not effect you surgery but as always please check with your surgeon and make sure the anesthesia staff knows.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon