How bad of a scar would a deep cut on the forehead on a 17 month old leave? And what can I do to help it heal better?

My daughter is 17 months old. Two days ago she fell face forward our bed and hit her head on the bedframe. There was a lot of blood but it quickly stopped and I took her to her pediatrician. They said that while the cut is deep it is not very big and they glued it together. Today she pulled at the bandages and the wound still looks gaping. Is this normal? I am really concerned about the scar it may leave. What can I do to help her heal without scarring? It's right in the middle of her forehead

Plato's scar serum for a cut on the face

+1
Pediatric cuts and lacerations should be managed with care because they are typically not revised until the child gets older. At this stage, proper wound care and application of Plato's Scar Serum can help improve the gaping scar to maximize outcome. When you child gets older, you may consider a scar revision procedure. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

"Gaping" wound

+1
If the wound edges are not well opposed and in fact "gaping" then I recommend a visit to a board certified plastic surgeon for physical exam and further recommendations from there. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Forehead laceration in a 17-month-old

+1
I am sorry to hear of your daughter's recent trauma.  I feel that your instincts may be accurate.  It would be best if a forehead wound were allowed to heal in such a way that the edges were not separated.  I would recommend seeing a physician with experience performing plastic surgery in this region.  Even though the laceration occurred a couple of days ago, I do not feel it is too late to obtain a second opinion.  Good luck!

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon