Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty? Excessive Scar Tissue.

I am considering rhinoplasty but my main concern is whether or not I would be a good candidate due to my personal history with scarring. In the past I have had my ears, nose and belly button pierced and the scars are raised almost as if there is a small pebble under my skin and the one on my nose is discolored (greenish-grey). I also have scarring from my breast augmentation, and I unfortunately have capsular contracture. What are the worst case scenario risks?

Closed Rhinoplasty for Poor Scar Formers

+1

The closed rhinoplasty will eliminate the possibility of external scars.  This may be useful in your case.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scar tissue avoided with closed rhinoplasty

+1

A closed rhinoplasty will eliminate any outside scarring potential, since it is less traumatic and is less invasive.  There are 2 small incisions placed only on the inside of the nose.  We have never seen a keloid develop inside the nose in our practice.

Candidate for Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery can be done via an open or closed approach. Fortunately even in patients who form poor scars like keloids, they do not usually have a thick scar in the area you would have yours. All surgery involves risk and forming poor scars is one of those risks. Part of that is controlled by how skilled the surgeon is and part is controlled by your genetics. I would think you should heal fine, but seek an opinion from a board certified surgeon in your area.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Candidate for Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your inquiry. While you have had scarring incidents from the past  piercings you discussed it is unlikely this would contribute to scar tissue in the nose. It is always important when consulting with your surgeon to give them your past history of scarring. I have operated on many patients who have history of keloid scars and have had  no problems with rhinoplasty. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Scarring Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Despite your  history , in 35 years I've not seen a patient like you that had a problem with scarring following a rhinoplasty. However, I would want more details about your scars and examine them before any final decisions would be made. 

Scar tissue after rhinoplasty

+1

Tex13

Thanks for your question and this is a very common concern after rhinoplasty. 

It is difficult to make a full evaluation without seeing your pictures and having a face-to-face consultation with a board-certified surgeon. 

With that said, every patient who has any kind of incision to the skin will have some sort of scarring and swelling under the skin as it heals.  It is common after rhinoplasty it is very common to have swelling and scarring under the skin. The reason for this is that the skin and muscle of the nose is usually raised to expose the cartilage of the nose which determines the structure and shape of your nose. The process of just raising the skin leads to swellign and scarring. In most patients, this can take 9mo-12mo to completely go away but most of the swelling after a rhinoplasty is gone after the first 3 months. The swelling can be less if the surgeon uses the "closed" rhinoplasty approach.  Incisions on the outside or the inside of the nose usually heal pretty well if proper techniques are utilized. 

I hope this helps and best of luck.

Sachin Parikh, MD

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring and rhinoplasty.

+1

The kind of scarring you are talking about should not affect your rhinoplasty. In 35 years of doing rhinoplasty this has not been a problem. 

Scarring from rhinoplasty

+1

Hi

Fortunately most rhinoplasties can be done by a 'closed' technique - which means that all the cuts are placed inside the nose, so that there is no scar visible from the outside. Therefore even if you have a tendence of producing bad scars or keloids, this may not be a problem for a rhinoplasty. The linings of the nose also do not produce keloid scars.

If you need an 'open' rhinoplasty which produces a small scar under the tip of the nose between the nostrils, scarring can sometimes be a problem.

I would suggest that you see a plastic surgeon to find out what sort of correction, if any, you need.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon