Weight Gain After Abdominoplasty?

I had bariatric surgery in 2004. No complications and kept the weight off. 2 years ago 2010 I opted for the abdominoplasty. Complications from this surgery included extensive tissue damage, incontinance and rapid weight gain. As a matter of fact I can't stop it. I'm so angry that I had the second surgery. Why would this happen after maintaining for 6 years? Am I a good candidate for a revision?

Weight Gain After Abdominoplasty

+1

Yes, that affect your surgery, you need to maintain low weight, more than 1 year, and then the plastic surgeon perform an abdominoplasty. 

Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and sorry to hear about your experience. It is difficult to explain weight gain after a tummy tuck or understand a mechanism in which the tummy tuck caused a weight gain. I would suggest discussing this with your plastic surgeon, but also with your bariatric surgeon and nutritionist. I would not consider doing any type of further surgery until your weight is stable and your weight gain is explained. Remember that your overall health is the most important consideration.

Best of luck.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain After Abdominoplasty?

+1

I am sorry to hear about your clinical course, and have no explanation to offer about the weight gain. Your bariatric surgeon would be more likely to  have some insight. Most reports about tummy tuck and weight change note weight loss after the procedure. 

Your question about revision is unclear. Without a photo or some explanation of the anatomic features that remain unsatisfactory, I wouldn't know what to comment on.

It would be unusual to have any unfavorable physical sequelae of a TT that could not be improved at a secondary revision surgery. 

Your own surgeon would be a good place to start, but if you would rather  get another's opinion, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.