Deflation, Leak, Rupture?

I have had my saline implants since 3/2007. My implants are under the muscle. Two days ago i opened my car door and it hit the top part of my right breast. It felt like a small jab in my chest and was not excruciating pain but was uncomfortable. Later on it was still tender and was a little more uncomfortable the next day. There are no signs of asymmentry but my breast is still tender. I can also feel a little tingle/uncomfort in my right arm. Is it possible that I punctured implant?

Deflation after Trauma

+1

Most of the time implants cannot be ruptured with blunt force trauma.  Saline implants will deflate quickly in most situations.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

Leak

+1

if there is any kind of leak in a saline implant you will have complete or almost complete deflation. the breast will be much flatter

Saline implant rupture

+1

It does not sound like a rupture of your implant. More like a bruise. If you are concerned, it is best to go for an exam with your surgeon.

Blunt Trauma and Saline Breast Implant Deflation

+1

This does not sound like a saline breast implant deflation at all. That generally happens very quickly and the breast has a dramatic change in shape. It is also unlikely to happen from a low level blunt force like hitting your breast on car door This sounds more like a bruise which should be self-solving in a few weeks.

Web reference: http://www.eppleybreastaugmentation.com

Saline implants can leak

+1

Just from the trauma of the door you should not suffer an implant issue.  It would become markedly flatter or deflate all the way so it would be very noticeable.  You can always be seen and examined for any specific concerns.  Also if you are having breast pain and not implant associated symptoms which can be hard to figure out then you should be evaluated using mammography and/or ultrasound to make sure that the breast tissue has been evaluated properly.

Determining if a saline implant has ruptured

+1

After hitting the chest/breast it isn't surprising that it hurts.  A ruptured saline implant is pretty easy to identify--the breast will start getting smaller.  Unless you have small implants and a large amount of breast tissue, a ruptured saline implant is pretty obvious.  If you are concerned it is best to see your surgeon.  Rupturing a saline implant requires a significant force.  The reason that implants rupture over time usually is not due to repeated trauma but "fold flaws" in the implant shell that over time cause a crack in the shell.  Today's implants are very durable and ruptures are less common than in the past.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Sorry to hear about your discomfort. If you start to see a huge difference in size of your breast that’s when you can see or tell whether you have a leak or a rupture.

Saline implant durability

+1

It sounds as if you have suffered some minor soft tissue trauma to your breast, but should really have no problems with your implants. Saline implant ruptures almost always present as a rapid deflation of the implant that would result in an obvious asymmetry with the other breast. Saline implants are much more durable than most people assume and after extremely difficult to damage with blunt force trauma. I would suspect that you will feel completely normal again in less than 1 week. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Saline implant rupture?

+1

One of the advantages of having saline implants is the ease in detecting ruptures.  When a saline implant ruptures, it will deflate rather quickly.  If there has been no change in the size of your breast over two days, it is unlikely to have ruptured.  Keep a close eye on it and if there is some change in size, see your plastic surgeon.

Deflation of Breast Implant after Trauma?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the trauma you experienced. However, based on your description of the event and the current lack of asymmetry, I doubt that your breast implant was harmed. I would suggest that you keep an eye on it and follow-up with your plastic surgeon in the event of any change in size and/or increased rippling…

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm