This is Quarter Size Deep Opening Okay? (photo)

Called PS office today and they said it is normal to have this quarter sized deep opening And i dont need to be Seen...It's scaring me:( is this really ok?

This is Quarter Size Deep Opening Okay?

+2

It's relatively common to have delayed wound healing (ie, an opening) exactly where you have it - at the "T" which is the point of maximum tension and least blood flow.  As long as you don't also have a breast implant, the wound should heal up well on its own and, at the worse, you may need a small scar revision to achieve maximum results (and that scar revision is often not even necessary).  If you have a breast implant, also, then I would be more concerned about the wound.  Either way, it's appropriate for your surgeon to take a look at it so you should feel comfortable about asking him or her to do so.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Opening at Inverted T Heals Well

+2

I wouldn't say its normal, but unfortunately an opening at the inverted T portion of a breast reduction/ lift scar occurs more than we would like.  Proper wound care and wearing a support bra will help this heal within several weeks.  You may be surprised that the resulting scar heals beautifully...if not, the most you'll need is a minor scar revision under local anesthesia. 

Web reference: http://www.sadehsurgery.com/breast_reduction_gallery.htm

Wound opening after a breast lift

+2

This area, at the base of the inverted T is the most common area for would break down since it is the furthest away from the blood supply and under the most tension.  If you have an implant then I would not wait to see your surgeon.  If the implant gets infected or exposed it will need to be removed.  If there is no implant involved then good wound care is all that is needed.  

Call again

+2

Wound separation is not normal and you should at least be seen. Even though this is the most frequent place for it to happen, it should still be addressed. You need local wound care and possibly an antibiotic to prevent and infection.

Healing with Breast Implants

+2

Call your Plastic Surgeon and ask to be seen.  Having an open wound after a Breast Augmentation is unusual.  If you were my patient, I would want to see you in the office ASAP.

Small opening in the incision of a mastopexy is not "okay" but will probably heal uneventfully.

+1

Small incision problems are sometimes seen after mastopexy or breast reduction. They generally heal with one care uneventfully.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,16-atlanta-breast-reshaping.htm

This is Quarter Size Deep Opening Okay?

+1

I wouldn't necessarily call it normal, but it is certainly not at all uncommon, and the site, at the "T" intersection is the likeliest area. 

If you have implants, the level of concern would be a bit higher, and were you my patient I would want to see you to consider whether antibiotics are needed. 

Otherwise, these typically heal without requiring any intervention, expect perhaps removal of a suture that is often present in the wound. Uncommonly a minor scar revision may be suggested down the line, but usually these heal uneventfully.

All the best. 

Open Wound Concerns after Breast Lifting Surgery?

+1

The open wound problem that you are experiencing does occur occasionally after this procedure. Generally speaking, these areas go on to heal without long-term sequelae. Sometimes, if the scar is wider in this area, scar revision surgery may be helpful.
 In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Occasionally, there is an offending suture that may need to be removed to allow for wound healing to complete its course.

On the other hand, if you have had breast implants placed as well, the situation is more concerning given that an  implant exposure would  most likely necessitate removal  of the breast implant.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm