Alarplasty Questions?

1)Does alarplasty narrow the nose? 2)Does it also make nostrils symmetrical? 3)Would the scar be noticeable when people are close to my face?

Benefits of Alarplasty

+1

Yes you are correct. Alarplasty can narrow the nose and make the nostrils more symetric. I like to place the incisions at the junction of the nostril and cheek to help camouflage the incissions. In most cases the scar can be easily covered with make up until the scar fades.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty can improve deformities of nostril size and asymmetry,

+1

Alarplasty can be performed to correct deformities of nostril and alar lobule. It can be used to decrease the nostril width and improve the alar flaring by excising the alar base. It can also decrease the thickness of the alar sidewall.

Although over correction/excision and visible scarring are two most common complications, done well, the scar usually heals very well and is hardly noticeable even as early as 1-2 weeks after the procedure. 

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Alarplasty for wide noses is great procedure alone or with Rhinoplasty

+1

Alarplasty is often done in conjunction with Asian rhinoplasty to correct wide base of nose or asymmetric nostrils or it can performed as a stand alone procedure if no further modification to the nose tip or bridge is desired.  Scarring from this procedure is minimal when well executed.  There may be a noticable faint pink line on the skin for the first 4-6 months, which can easily be covered with makeup until normal skin color returns after 6 months. 

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty

+1

Alarplasty, or alar wedge resection will narrow the lower part of the nose quite nicely.  The scars are in the alar crease and typically heal imperceptibly.  The Alarplasty, when done well, is a great procedure. And can even be done under local anesthesia.  Attention to symmetry is a key part of the procedure and can even correct some pre-existing asymmetry.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Alarplasty can improve the nostrils

+1

Alarplasty can be used exactly in the manner you describe. It can be used to narrow the nostrils, make them more symmetric and also to reshape them. The scars can be hidden so that they are not readily seen. I prefer a modified internal suture method combined with skin removal to maximize the effect while minimizing the incision.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Alarplasty with Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

An alarplasty will narrow the base of the nose if that is the desired result. The procedure can improve symmetry and scars are inconspicuous when the incisions are placed properly by an experienced surgeon.

Alarplasty

+1

Thanks for the question.Yes Alarplasty helps to reduce the nasal flair and to avoid scar showing outside the nose over nostril grove I perform this surgery entirely from inside and it works very well. Symmetrical removal of tissue is the hallmark of this surgery if nostrils should symmetrical  Only for asymmetrical size of nostrils to begin with I remove  asymmetrical tissue size to create symmetry. I hope this of some help.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty

+1

All alar are a bit different. It should be performed to try to improve the symmetry.  Usually the incision heals well and is barely perceptible. Alasplsty can narrow the base and reduce flare.

Does alarplasty narrow the nose? 2)Does it also make nostrils symmetrical? 3)Would the scar be noticeable when people are close

+1

Alarplasty as part of a Rhinoplasty would be able to address the shape of the tip and nostrils however, as an isolated technique an Alarplasty would address the width of the alar base and or nostrils alone.  Depending on how the technique is performed, external scars could be visible and this is why I choose not to place scars on the outside of the nose (nostrils).  Hope this helps.

Alar Base Reduction

+1

Alar base reduction or alarplasty is used to narrow the width of the nostrils and/or help achieve more symmetry.  Depending on the technique and your own body's healing, the scar can be made less visible/noticeable.  In my office we recommend special post-procedure treatment/ointment that minimizes any potential scarring.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD