Can Tuberous Breasts Be Corrected Without Implants?

I have what I believe to be larger tuberous breasts. Can I correct them without getting implants? I'm 18 and my breasts are tuberous, from what I have read. But they are not small like websites have suggested that most tuberous breasts are. I wear a 36 B. Though they are significantly asymmetrical. I was wondering if I could have their shape corrected without having implants put in?

Can tuberous breasts be corrected without implants?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!   The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  Without an examination, it is difficult to give you plan recommendations.  However, you can get great results with fat grafting and possible breast lift.  

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Tuberous Breast Correction without Breast Implants

+1

It is very difficult to give you options without photos or an examination.

Tuberous ( constricted) breasts are characterized by a wide spectrum of presentation including constriction of the breast base, glandular and skin hypoplasia (especially at the lower quadrants), mal-position of the infra-mammary fold, breast tissue herniation into the areola region and sometimes increased areola diameter.

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

Please visit with well experienced plastic surgeons to discuss your options and see examples of their work.

Correction of tuberous breasts without implants

+1

I have had occasion to treat a mild contricted breast deformity wiht the use of a BRAVA device and fat grafting with needle release of the inframammary fold.

Tuberous breast correction without implants

+1

Without photos it would be difficult to tell you.  Uusally patients require implants becaue they do not have enough tissue.

Tuberous breast surgery

+1

In the tuberous breast deformity the skin of the lower half of the breast remains attached to the chest wall by a constricting ring at the base of the breast & does not grow with the remainder of the breast during puberty. The developing tissue in some cases may be forced into or herniate into the darker tissue surrounding the breast nipple (areola) &/or may be constricted at its base. In more severe cases breast growth is impaired to a greater degree. The need for a breast implant at the time of release of the constricting ring is predicated by how much the ring has impaired breast development. Keep in mind that after release of the ring the breasts may not project forward as much as they did before surgery and cause you to change your mind about breast implants.

Aaron Stone, MD

Correcting tuberous breasts without implants

+1

As Dr. Aldea has said, you might not have tuberous reasts at all.  As far as correcting what you have without implants, a picture would have been worth a thousand words.  The small side locks you in without an implant so if you can imagine making the larger breast look like the smaller one and being happy, it might be possible to do it without any implants.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Correction of Tuberous (Constricted) Breasts

+1

From your description it is not clear if you have Tuberous breasts or not. In the absence of photographs we cannot decide one way or another. If you DO have Tuberous breasts, the breasts are literally constricted and nothing but a release procedure would allow these breasts to assume a normal shape. While I suppose the constriction could be released without placing an implant, in the vast majority of such cases the breasts are small and a much better cosmetic result can be obtained with a concomitant augmentation.