Can I Go Larger Than 375cc's? (photo)

I saw my doc about getting a breast lift with lager implants. I currently have 375cc silicone HP under the muscle implants and with the lift Im afraid they will look smaller. I am 5'4 120 lbs. My PS says he wouldnt do any larger on my frame...(I asked for 525 HP..hehe). He also wants to do a lift with the full anchor cut..Do you think my frame can handle a larger implant? Would a bellini lift be sufficient to reduce areola size and lift breasts or do I need the full shebang? Thank you!

Lift and Larger Breast Implants?

+4

It looks like from your photographs that you have a number of simultaneous issues. The areolae are already asymmetric from the previous lift and your implants appear to be in a "down and out" position. The nipples appear to be in good position, but the breast tissue is no longer centered on the breast (you can see how the left areola has stretched downward). The only way to correct this is by tightening the breast tissue through a "vertical" lift - this can be done with an anchor approach, but I think you will only get unnecessary scar length. This approach will help re-center and re-shape your breasts on your chest. You also can better maintain the breast symmetry and areolar shape with this approach. If you use a second Benelli lift, this will further flatten your breast reducing the attractive shape of the breast. If you use larger breast implants alone, you will just have a larger version of the same issue you currently have with progressive weakening of the tissues related to the volume of your breasts. See an expert in revision surgery as a simple approach will likely give you a temporary result.

Vincent Marin, MD

Breast Implant Change and Lift

+3

Hello Rosebud123,

I believe the advice given you by the other 4 doctors on this forum so far is mostly incorrect, and if taken will lead to more severe problems than you have now.  Your original PS is absolutely right to tell you 'NO MORE'; it's unfortunate that he used the HP implant on you before; the profile of your current implant is at least partially responsible for your current situation of implant dropout, and unpredictable stretch of your breast and areolar skin.  You state that your current implants are under the muscle, but in fact they have almost completely dropped out of that position, and I estimate only 10% to 20% is still under muscle.  Your body is barely tolerating your current implants' size and weight now.  Replacing with bigger will surely push you over the edge with more severe complications, most likely recurrent dropout and significant rippling.

If you want a perky, full, and pretty breast, you will need to change to a lower profile and smaller implant, which would match the same diameter of your current implant.  The capsules of your current pockets will need to be closed down along the lower and outer borders to support and reposition the new implants back under the muscle.  A full lift will be necessary. It looks as though you already have a crescent lift on one of your breasts, and a donut lift will not fare any better, most likely re-expanding your areola within a few months (especially if you went bigger). Certainly don't expect any real lift of the breast or change in position of the areola with a donut lift!

On the other hand, you could take the advice of the other surgeons and find yourself a new doctor (like one of them) who will be more than happy to give you exactly what you want.  Needless to say, I hope you don't for your sake.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Bigger implants then breast lift

+2

You desire higher breast positioning and larger implants.  A breast lift can be achieved using only a circumareola incision and larger implants added.  It would be important at that time to elevate the implant higher on your chest wall, plicating the capsule, elevating your breast tissue and aligning you nipple in the same horizontal plane.  You requested 525 cc implants which is 150 cc increase and about 1 cup size increase.  More importantly than volume addition will be the lifting.  You definately do not want an anchor cut incision or any vertical incisions since they tend to widen in time and cannot be hidden.  The Ultimate Lift is a new alternative technique that you should consider.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Depends upon your goal....

+2

Some surgeons would perform a lift which would probably give you a more stable long term result. You could go with larger implants but the result will likely need more surgery over the long term. 

Focus upon your desires in this light.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Bigger Implants and a lift

+2

I would not hesitate putting larger implants in you, and the 525cc implants would seem to be a good size.  They would put you about one cup size bigger if you choose to go about 150cc larger.  Obviously you will not make the areola any smaller unless you do a lift.  It looks to me that you would be helped with removing a bit of the displaced breast tissue, especially on your left side.  But that would add scars to your breast, so there is a cost benefit ratio that you need to pick.  Good luck.

Dan Mills, MD

A Rose is not a rose

+2

Dear Rosebud,

From the pictures that you have sent it appears that you have already had a lift.  I will assume that it was a Benelli type lift as I do not see a vertical scar.  It also appears that you are a petite, thin woman.  I would agree with your PS that larger implants would not fit well with your slight stature.  It is also true that you will lose some size (maybe 10%) with the lift.  I don't personally see the need for an anchor scar lift and I don't recommend a Benelli type lift.  Your breasts are very asymmetric as well.  I would recommend a vertical lift with the same size implants, and areolar reduction.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Bigger is not always better

+2

Thank you for the photos. I have to agree with Dr. Marin. A larger implant will further destroy your tissues. You already show thin skin with stretch marks. If your implants are soft, I would do a vertical breast lift only, not an anchor scar. A Benelli lift only, will flatten your areolae and might end up with the same asymmetry that you already have. You need to look at the long term result and not immediate result with larger implants, unless you want to keep your surgeon happy with years of revisional surgery. Your surgeon is right in not agreeing to place larger implants. Unfortunately, you will always find someone who will do that for you in spite of your anatomical constraints.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices

+2

Without an exam, it is difficult to say what size implant would be best for you.  You probably would need a lift, your skin quality does not look good in the photos.

Breast lift may be better answer

+2

Do you need a breast lift? It depends on what you want your breasts to look like. Personally, I would use larger, moderate profile saline implants to achieve round, symmetrical, natural breasts.

Donna Rich, MD

Larger Implants with a Lift

+2

I think you can go with fuller implants and there are various options regarding the lift including the full anchor pattern which does 3 things...it makes the areola smaller (if you want), it makes the areola higher, and it gets rid of extra skin and sometimes breast tissue at the bottom of the breast. You can do the Benelli Lift which does the first and second changes but nothing to remove excess lower skin, or you can remove only the lower skin if the nipple size and position is OK with you. Fom the photos the nipple/areola complex looks to be above the lower breast crease already so I would be careful about anything that lifts it higher. I see from your tan lines the nipple is barely covered now and I have seen patients that had an inappropriate lift and their areolae showed above normal swimsuit shapes. If that happenss, you cannot lower it.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD