Will Larger Implants Fill in Pocket Made Too Large?

I had breast augmentaion 7 years ago 350 filled to 400 saline under muscle.Well within 2 mths while laying on my back my implants started falling toward my armpits leaving a very large gap in the middle. I have decided to consult with another ps and have my implants replaced with 550-600cc hopeing for a dd.New ps said larger implants would fill in the gap.Is it possible that larger implants will fill in the middle without having to make adjustments to side of pockets

+1
Given your concerns about lateral breast implant displacement , I would be concerned about simply using larger breast implant volumes. In other words, I think you will be better off revising the breast implant pockets (capsulorraphy), so that the breast implants are not shifting to the sides when you lie down. You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery, helpful to you.

Larger implants

+1
They probably would fill in the pocket, but it still may need some ajustment, that could only be determined during the surgery.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Larger Implants to Fill Larger Pockets

+1

The large pockets can be filled by larger implants.  However, the real question is what is the strength of the lateral pocket pillars.  It is possible that the pocket was dissected too fat laterally the first time.   However, if your tissues are weak and the implants have migrated, you may not want larger implants.  You may end up with a problem that is worse than what you have now.

Implants falling to the sides

+1

There are really two issues here:  pocket size and implant.  If you want larger breasts (ie.  DD), then, yes, you may need larger implants.  The larger implant will not fix the breast pocket, you will likely also need tightening of the pocket (capsulorrhaphy) to prevent the implants from migrating off to the side.

Dennis Dass, MD

Options with implant malposition

+1

Let's discuss the etiology of your problem.  Your implants have fallen off to the side.  This has occurred because your soft tissue and anatomy can not support the weight of your existing implants.  Using larger implants makes little since.  The added weight will just get you back into the same situation that you find yourself in today.  A better choice may be to perform some type of capsule work or consider the use a ADM to support the implant.  You would need to be examined to determine the best choice.  

Larger will fill but may not be the best approach

+1

Whent he pocket is too large there is a simple treatment - close of the pocket that is too large to keep the implants in a much better position.  When I perform this procedure I will usually use some Strattice or Alloderm to help support the tisse especially if the tissue is thin.  If you are happy with the size or want to go only a little bigger I would recommend this treat and not using much larger implants.  When you lie down they will still be in your armpits.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Larger implants are not the answer to lateral movement of your breast implants

+1

With smooth wall saline filled breast implants under the muscle it is not unusual for the breast implant pocket to open up and allow the implants to fall out into the axillary area. 

What I have found to be the best solution for this problem is to remove the implants from below the muscle and place new textured silicone gel implants under the breast tissue. This requires that you have enough breast tissue to cover the ripples in the implants so that they do not show through the soft tissue of your breast. If there is too little breast tissue in the upper pole of your breast then a second option would be to place textured gel implant under the muscle by creating a new pocket using the scar tissue around the implant and probably also sewing off the lateral scar pocket. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Larger implants for the too large pocket

+1

It is possible that the fuller implant with the larger diameter is the solution to your problem, however the pocket must be centered on the nipple and if not, even the larger implant might drift to the side or rest off center in the breast. A careful exam should sort things out.

+1

The difference in width of the sizes in question are about 2 cm, somewhat less than an inch. If that is all the free movement there is, that might work.

But since this was not apparent until two month after surgery, it may well be that the compression of your chest muscle pushed these out beyond the size of the pocket that was made, and that this might happen again.

You don't state whether having larger implants was something you might have wanted independent of the implant mobility issue. If not, using larger implants seems like a poor idea. Either way, I would favor adjusting the pocket and wearing a supportive post-op bra for six weeks or so after surgery.

Thanks, best wishes.

Implants

+1

no, the larger you go the more problems you will have. The larger implants will continue to stretch your soft tissue envelope and they will fall even farther to the side. You need a lateral capsulloraphy to close the lateral aspect of the pocket and force the implants to the middle

Joseph A. Russo, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon