Large Volume Liposuction Vs TT (NO KIDS)? (photo)

Hello so i am stuck between wether i need tummy tuck or just large volume liposuction. i am going to the dominican republic for my surgery but i dont know what i should do. im 24 years old 5'4, 228 pounds no kids. im terrified of the tt scar thats why i thought large volume lipo would be better. i know the risks of having saggy skin but can i still achieve good results with the lipo only?

Liposuction versus tummy tuck

+4

There is absolutely no question that a tummy tuck with liposuction will give you the best overall shape and flattest abdomen.  Liposuction alone will decompress the fat, but will leave you with loose and hanging skin.  My suggestion is that you consult with your local board certified plastic surgeon to go over your options and to make sure you are a good candidate for surgery.

Good Luck.

Tummy tuck vs. Lipo.

+3

While liposuction may offer some improvement, you may still have some sagging skin postop.  As you are young, you can try a staged approach and see how much retraction you get after lipo. and then try the tummy tuck.  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck?

+3

A large volume liposuction may reduce the fat to the level you are seeking, but the skin may not respond the way you may think.  In addition, I would agree that the risks of operating on patients with a higher BMI are greater and weight loss may be appropriate.

Large Volume Liposuction Vs TT

+3

At your current weight, neither is a good idea. Your BMI is close to 40, and most US surgeons feel that the procedure will not yield a satisfactory outcome and carries too much risk in patients have BMI over 30. 

Liposuction to the abdomen would probably result in even more overhanging skin than is currently  present--a bad outcome. 

Thanks for your question. Think about weight loss. Best wishes.

Surgery

+2

Liposuction will help you recontour the areas of localised excess that you have. It will do nothing for weight loss. I would not travel abroad

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or liposuction

+2

Large volume liposuction will certainly improve your figure, especially in clothing.  I think that you will be left with extra skin afterwards however.  As long as you are okay with this then It is okay to proceed so long as you are in good health, will be admitted to a hospital post-op, and are using a board certified plastic surgeon.  If I were you however, I would have a tummy tuck so that you could not only get rid of the extra fat but also the extra skin.  Yes there is a scar afterwards but it is well worth it to get rid of that extra skin.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck or liposuction with obesity

+2

I think that based upon your height and weight you should lose weight first before undergoing either a tummy tuck or liposuction.

Tummy tuck and small volume liposuction may be your best option

+1

Thank you for your question of photos. The problem with large volume liposuction is that you will be left with loose skin afterwards. Large volume liposuction cannot be done at the same time as a tummy tuck because of the risk to the blood vessels in your abdomen and possible skin loss.

However judicious or small volume liposuction of your flanks and upper abdomen can certainly be done in the course of a tummy tuck. Careful combining of liposuction with a tummy tuck I believe will give you the best result based on your photographs. Be sure to choose and experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in body contouring and with an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Consider All Aspects of Medical Tourism

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  You are a candidate for either a tummy tuck or large volume liposuction and as a result of your age should do reasonably well with either.  The larger question you should be asking is whether you have considered all the issues involving medical tourism.  LVL and TT's have a higher risk of a blood clot than other procedures.  Travel immediately after surgery also increases your risk.  If you have a postoperative complication after you have left the DR do you have a physician and the finances to cover the additional cost of managing a cosmetic complication. While there are qualified surgeons in the DR, how do you know you have selected the right one?  If all these issues are taken into consideration having surgery locally where you live, have social support and can consult with your doctor may not seem like such a bad option. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs. tummy tuck is not the question you should be asking!

+1

I suspect that you have already received opinions from local Plastic Surgeons that you did not agree with. If this assumption is wrong then you should see a Royal College or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon before you put your life at unnecessary risk.

From the information that you provided, I would suggest that you may be a good candidate for elective body contouring surgery but you first need some objective and potentially unpopular advice.  Your current BMI (Body Mass Index)places you at a significantly higher risk for complications from any surgical procedure, let alone one that is performed after a lengthy flight to a developing country for discounted cosmetic surgery.

In selected patients with your features, safe and satisfying results can be achieved but you need to work with a qualified Plastic Surgeon to become fully educated about your options and your risks of complications before taking this step.

Respectfully,

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon