Large Volume Liposuction Only in India?

I am interested in of large volume liposuction however I am just shy of 300 lbs and 5'5" 34 year old female. I have found a Dr. in India who will perform the surgery but he sounds sketchy. $ is not an issue, however I would like a somewhat reputable dr. I live in FL but I am willing to travel. Every place I call says that my BMI is too high for surgery. Must I go to India or is there someone closer to home who can do this procedure?

Dr.Ayyappan Thangavel large volume liposuction

+2

hello jenny,

iam sure you have done your research on liposuction and bariatric surgery before you have asked this question.on high volume liposuction.Liposuction is removal of fat and it does not result in significant weight loss,it corrects the form or body structure significantly.fat cells once removed are usually removed forever except in very few cases of hyperplasia

no doubt your BMI is high,provided you understand the pros and cons of the surgery and you get it done in a suitable facility with multispeciality and critical care services available and competent surgeon you can get the results..before surgery you need careful evaluation and investigations and if you are fit you can undergo this surgery,you have the choice of autotransfusion of 2/3 units of your own blood at 15 to 30 day intervals depending on your blood bank protocol.Patient safety is the most important criteria.

Bariatric surgery is highly recommended if the fat is evenly distributed,however if the fat accumulation is predominantly in and around the abdomen then liposuction with tummy tuck is an option.In my practice what i call high volume liposuction is usually not more than 3-6 litres of fat removed along with an abdominoplasty ,which removes about 5-6 kg of fat and skin .There are surgeons who claim to remove 12-16 ltrs of fat which ifeel is highly risky in my opinion.

every surgery however minor has its own risk and complications so you must ask and understand and make careful decisions,

all the best...

Dr.Ayyappan Thangavel

MBBS MS MCh DNB MNAMS

India Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction in India!?

+2

India is a horrible idea - you fly to a surgeon you don't know, fork over money, have very high risk surgery that won't help you -- and quite possibly die? Please don't go! 

• No one reputable wants to do this procedure because it offers you no help. Fat is removed and in six months it will all be back again. 
  • Let's take another approach. Talk to your regular doctor, a bariatric surgeon and a weight loss physician. Figure out how to get the weight off.
  • Result? Your skin will be loose and the money you DIDN"T spend on liposuction you can spend on getting reshaped. 

You will look better, feel better and live! 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Large Volume Liposuction in India

+1

Dear Jenny,

Liposuction is a procedure for body contouring, not weight loss.

At your height of 5'5" and weight of 300 pounds, you are not an appropriate candidate for liposuction. I would be wary of any physician who tells you otherwise. I would also be wary of having major cosmetic procedures performed abroad as there are multiple hazards.

I would suggest that you discuss with your primary care doctor and a bariatric surgeon whether you are a candidate for weight loss surgery. Weight loss surgery could change your life and greatly improve your health and well-being.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Large Volume Liposuction Only in India?

+1

I cannot imagine any reputable surgeon doing liposuction on a 300# patient. Liposuction is not, and never has been, done for wieght loss. It is a contouring procedure and works best on patients at a normal weight. High volume liposuction is not done specifically because of the high death rate!!!

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Large Volume Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a body contouring procedure, and should not be used for weight loss. Focus on a health and long term maintainable weight loss before considering surgery. It is unlikely that a reputable board certified plastic surgeon would undertake your surgery at this point.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Large Volume Liposuction Only in India?

+1

Though there doctors that do large volume liposuction, it is much safer to do one area at a time over several surgeries.  This however, is not a weight loss procedure.  You will need to still lose weight.  In addition, yo will later need body contouring surgery to get rid of the excess skin.  You should also talk to you primary doctor to make sure you are medically a good candidate for elective surgery.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Liposuction

+1

Large Liposuction

I don't think  that you will find a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery ( ASPS) who would do liposuction at this stage. More than anything you need to consider SAFETY first and foremost.  If anyone tells you that they would perform this procedure for you I would certainly consider changing your mind on having this procedure performed.  A real board certified plastic surgeon who is in practice to help change peoples lives in a positive manner is NOT going to perform a procedure that is going to put your life at risk.  Liposuction is more for body contouring on trouble spots not a weight loss procedure.  Please consider speaking with our consultants on our weight loss program where you can lose about 1/2 to 1lb per day and by doing this we can work with you to help you meet your goals, teach you habits worth learning and then we can work on the contouring at a later time to complete the process of looking and feeling better about yourself!

John Hensel, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Staging Serial Liposuctions Can Work For Large Patients Who Are Healthy.

+1

There is only so much fat we as lipo docs can remove safely at each surgery. In an otherwise healthy large patient who is dieting and exercising, serial liposuctions have given them a new life and has helped motivate them to work harder etc...Everyone needs help at some point in their lives. If medically cleared and realistic expectations, liposuction can be done on specific areas at a time such as upper abdomen in one procedure, lower abd in another a week later, etc.. Sometimes the whole abdomen can be done in 1  procedure depending on size etc..  These generalizations are of coarse having the patients doing the tumescent lipo under local anesthesia or with minimal sedation so as to be the safest methods. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Overseas surgery

+1

Many people will do surgery overseas even if it is not recommended. Which is what I think with your case.  Liposuction is not for you at this time until you lose weight.  Any physician who will do this for you is not looking out for your beat interests 

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Large Liposuction

+1

It is doubtful that you will find a real Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery ( ASPS) who would do that surgery.  Run away from anyone who would do that!  Do yourself a favor, go to weight watchers and lose the weight.  Liposuction is body contour surgery.  It is designed for diet resistant areas.  This can be a dangerous procedure in the hands of the wrong person.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD