Large tooth movements with invisalign retainers?

I have had my teeth straightened with invisalign and now have vivera retainers. I wore them full time for 6 months and now wear every night. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed one of my bottom teeth moving significantly during the day; teeth are straight in the morning but one tooth moves so it is visibly in front of the others during the day, and becomes slightly uncomfortable, it corrects again over night. Should I go back to full time wearing whilst it settles down? For how long?

Teeth movements after fitting retainers

+2

Some teeth can be a little mobile at the end and this is dependant on the length of the root, the amount of movement done, general health of the tooth.

Sometimes the tooth may hit the upper tooth prematurely.

In any case you could wear retainers day and night for a few months, but if that does not help then you may need a fixed retainer. The Vivera could be cut back to accomodate, or you could abandon it.

London Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth moving after #Invisalign treatment

+1
Based on your description, I would recommend going back to wearing the retainer full time day and night, then making an appointment with your dentist.  Your dentist can place a permanent (also called fixed) retainer that can be cemented to the back of your teeth as a little metal wire.  This will significantly reduce relapse.  I think that this would be the best option, considering that your tooth is very very mobile.  Good luck to you and I hope this helps. "Follow" me on Real Self to ask more questions of me.
Sarah Thompson, DMD
O'Fallon, IL and St. Louis, MO

Sarah Thompson, DMD
Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist

Excessive shifting

+1
Some normal shifting can happen, but this shifting sounds fairy significant. I would recommend wearing your retainers full time for a few months before going back to just nighttime wear. Also, please see your dentist for routine preventive care to ensure that you don’t have bone loss due to periodontal disease, another condition that can cause tooth mobility (or loss.)

Michael Tam, BDS
Australia Cosmetic Dentist