Large Puffy Areolas, What Should I Do? (photo)

I'm 20 years old and the older I am getting the larger my areola is becoming. I'm not happy with the pointy shape, the largeness and the overall appearance. When I wear bras sometimes my nipples come out and I feel very self conscious. They only have a 'normal' appearence when I'm extremely cold, not during arousal however. What type of surgery would I be looking at to make my nipples more less puffier appealing?

Large Puffy Areolas, What Should I Do?

+1

At your age I would make sure you completely understand the risks involved in a surgery to the areolae. You could lose sensation and the ability to breast feed. 

Good candidate for mastopexy

+1

You are a god candidate for mastopexy (breast lift) in this operation we can make your nipple smaller and nicer. Take care.

Alper Tuncel, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Areola Too Large and Puffy

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. If your main concern is the size and/or “puffiness” of the areola, then areola reduction surgery may be indicated. However, you should consider the pros/cons of having this procedure performed carefully. For some young patients like yourself, the presence of a scar around the areola can be more concerning than the size/puffiness of the areola.

If you remain concerned, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and (again) to learn about the potential risk/complications associated with the procedure.  I ask all of my patients considering this operation (at your age)  to also consider the timing of the procedure in relation to life  and psychosocial circumstances…

Areolar reduction

+1

You would do very well with an areolar reduction. This will result in a scar around your entire areola, but should heal very well when done by a plastic surgeon who has experience with this. This will reduce the diameter or your areolas.

Matthew Schulman, MD