Large Nose Disproportionate to Face? (photo)

2 years ago I decided to have a rhinoplasty. The doctor explained that my nose a typical thick asian nose. She offered to thin out what she could and place an implant in it even though my real nose ALREADY had a well defined bridge. So now my tip is REALLY full and from the side far too high! Looking at photos my nose is as wide as my lips. What can I do? I just want the lower 3rd of my face to look proportionate. The lower half of my nose has no shape and looks like a blob.

Large nose disproportionate to face

+1

Thick skin in the Asian nose is a very difficult problem to deal with, even by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  Consideration to remove or trim the dorsal implant along with narrowing and thinning the nasal tip cartilages would benefit to some degree.  Very close follow-up in the postoperative period for cortisone shots in the supratip area of the nose is necessary to make sure that the pollybeak does not form due to thick oily skin.

Large Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with your complaints and dissatisfaction. Your bulbous, poorly defined tip can be improved by changing the tip contour and increasing tip projection with a cartilage graft. The base of your nose also looks wide but I do need to see additional pictures that show the entire nose. Also consider a chin implant.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

You are good candidate for Asian rhinoplasty which requires aggressive defatting of the tip skin as well as cartilage graft to the tip. I would leave the implant in place. You also need Alar reduction and  Repositioning which will reduce wide nasal base without scar. A chin implant also will improve your overall profile. Look at the before and after pictures. Good luck

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thick skin and rhinoplasty

+1

You could get some improvement to the tip with cartilage grafting. You may also benefit from a chin implant to better balance the lower 1/3 of your face. If the skin was "thinned out" during your previous surgery, your skin may be at a higher risk of complications with another surgery though.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large nose after rhinoplasty

+1

From the limited views provided, it appears to me that you do not have adequate tip projection.  This is a problem with thicker skin, because the skin "steals the show".  In other words, the underlying cartilage structure has to be very strong and projecting to make the skin behave.  The tip and base of the nose get wider when you lose projection.  The only way to fix this is to re-project the tip.  Thinning skin does not work like you would think it would. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon