Upper Eyelid Skin Pulling Towards Flap After Large Mole Removal. Will This Resolve?

The large mole was between inner corner of my left eye and bridge of my nose. Plastic surgeon said this was least amt of tension he could use to close flap but I can massage the tension out after it heals. Is this true? Right now it's a thin band of skin pulling from upper eyelid down towards the site and it noticeably different from the way my right eye looks. I am only 1 day post-op but worry about it staying this way. Does massage work or will it require additional surgical intervention?

Scar contracture near eyes

+1

The scar may settle down with massage and natural maturation process. If the band persists, say after 3-4 months, you may need a small correction.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Too early to tell....

+1

At 1 day post-op, things are much too early to tell much about long term results. I would follow your surgeon's advice and follow-up instructions and wait it out for at least a few months before getting worried.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tincture of Time

+1

While it is always difficult to wait for things to improve- especially when dealing with a problem on the face- this will probably be your best "treatment".  The beautiful thing about the skin is that it heals itself.  Most of the time, things will improve on their own and may actually get worse if further treatments are tried prematurely.  That said, if things do not improve over time, there are several different methods by which this issue can be improved or even resolved.  The best option for you will need to be carefully discussed with a skilled dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Victoria W. Serralta, MD
Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Can massage help with skin pulling after mole removal

+1

You definitely do not want to massage anything now.  Let the wound heal first.  It will be clearer how the skin is behaving after the wound is healed.  At this point, massage may open the wound or get it infected.

Once the wound is healed and the skin is completely intact (give it approximately 2 weeks) then if still needed, you can begin massaging the area.  Skin stretches when it is under tension, so you may improve without the need for more surgery.  If you do need surgery, a scar revision can help with this pulling.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar

+1

You are too early, once healed, start massage, if it does not resolve a Z plasty will resolve the problem