What is the very large long lump on my neck? (Photo)

I had face and neck lift 3 weeks ago . Face has healed well , but large long lump on neck !:-( , Dr says massage and time will heal this. Is this correct , Its very large and concerns me and how long is long time before one should worry and seek or look at options to reduce this lump ? I cant hide my neck for months and month ,

Strange lumps can appear after face lift surgery

+1
Thank you for your question about your face lift.

I am so sorry this has happened to you.
These areas of raised, swollen skin are uncommon but can occur. Causes include -
  • reaction to a drain
  • pull of the skin into a fold when tightening the neck
  • seroma along a drain site
  • swelling at the lowest area of surgery in thick skin.
  • Whatever the cause, they will usually subside a lot in the first six weeks.
  • Discuss with your surgeon to see what you can try to help the swelling subside.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Contour irregularity at the junction of the dissection after facelift.

+1
There are several reasons one might have this contour irregularity but judging by the tension over The smoothed versus irregular skin it looks as though that demarcation was the and of the extent of the dissection. By placing tension on the skin this creates a differential condition that can contribute to the problem. Keep in touch with your own plastic surgeon.

Lump on neck after facelift may be drain tract

+1
If your surgeon used a drain postoperatively to remove excess fluid from the neck, the long lump that you see could well be a drain tract which formed beneath the skin.

Please ask your surgeon if this is a possibility.

If this is a drain tract then massage and warm soaks should resolve it in a matter of weeks

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Facelift Recovery

+1
Dear managed, thank you for your question.Swelling after a facelift may persists from weeks to months, causing bumps or asymmetries to appear. In San Diego, we monitor our patients closely for one year to address any issues. Follow up with your surgeon to check if this is swelling versus something else and if treatment is indicated. Best of Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck swelling after facelift

+1
This type of swelling happens when a bit of fluid accumulates at the lower boarder of surgical area in the neck.  This fluid causes some scar tissue to develop under the skin, creating an appearance of a hard cord-like structure. The good news is that this kind of scar tissue goes away with massage and warm compresses.  Unfortunately it may take a while for this lump to completely resolve.  

Best wishes!

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Neck lump 3 weeks after surgery

+1
Asymetrical swelling (one side only) following a facelift or a necklift usually represents a resolving blood collection (hematoma).  The shape of your swelling suggests a path a of a suspension sling suture -- definitely get an opinion from your operating surgeon. You may benefit from a trial of aspiration in addition to the massage, lymphatic drainage massage and ultrasound. Best of luck!

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lump after facelift

+1
It looks like swelling at the lowest part of the neck dissection.  This is where fluid will sometimes accumulate.  Warm compresses and massage may help to push the fluid out of there and flatten this area.  If it still looks irregular,  the surgeon can go back in from behind the ear to free up any scar tissue to flatten it out.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Long line on neck after facelift

+1
It could represent swelling, but it is hard to say where the undermining of the skin was completed and how far back the incision goes.  Follow closely with your surgeon.

Large lump on neck

+1
It appears that the lump on your neck is related to the surgery. Massage may help with this. If a scar contracture forms, then a revision may be necessary.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon