Large Labia Irritating 1 Year Old, What Do I Do?

my 1 year old has a large labida and i am just wondering what is the best way to help her. I wouldnt worry about it if it didnt worry her. she tells me it gets sore and itchy because it rubs on her underwear. i really just want to know what is the best thing to do to help her so she is more comfortable. thank you any advice would be a help.

Labiaplasty Surgery Not Recommended In 1-Year Old Infants

+2

I am sorry your child is going through this.  The appropriate first step is to seek a consultation with your pediatrician.  The soreness and itchiness you refer to may be due to an infection, allergic reaction to diaper material, or even an endocrine problem.  Thank you for allowing the Real Self Team of expert plastic surgeons to consider your very challenging question, but the good news is this is not a plastic surgical problem, and your baby doesn't need surgery. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Enlarged Labia in 1 year old

+2

I do not recommend performing surgery on the genitals of a one year old unless there is a medical reason to do so. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your pediatrician first to make sure there is not a medical explanation such as cyst or enlarged gland causing the discomfort etc.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Labia and infants

+2

Infants can be under the influence of maternal estrogen and can have issues like this occur.

You should seek the advice of your neonatologist or pediatrician.

In our San Francisco area practice we perform labiaplasty frequently and would _Not_ consider surgery an appropriate management technique unless this was part of a documented congenital anomaly.

Good luck!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Talk to her pediatrician

+1
Please see your daughter's physician and ask for their advice. Cosmetic surgery is probably not the best option at this time and an alternative may be more suitable based on the advice of her paediatrician.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Labiaplasty - Large Labia Irritating 1 Year Old, What Do I Do?

+1

I agree that the first step for your daughter should be a consultation with her pediatrician with, possibly, a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist if there are still questions after that.

I hope that this helps,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Large labia

+1

I have not heard of “large labia” being symptomatic for a one-year-old child. Careful examination by your pediatrician is warranted;   surgical  intervention is not. Best wishes.

Enlarged Labia in a 1 yo

+1

Well because this is extremely rare in a 1 yo infant I would start by visiting your pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis and then go from there based on his/her recommendations.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD