Large Hematoma 3.5 Weeks Post Breast Reduction. Can This Heal?

3.5 weeks post breast reduction. Incision lilne opened up almost entire way, dr. has evacuated and has me home expressing,warm compresses and when edges are healed and drainage stopped will steri strip to let it heal. No infection, but looks horrible! Will it heal alright? dr. says yes but will take time. In meantime must I be inactive? No use of arms? No driving? Or just clean it, keep dry and hope for best.....

Healing problems after breast reduction.

+2

Dear Anniebelle,

These problems sometimes occur following breast reduction and it is miserable.  It can take some time for these to heal and you need to work closely with your doctor so that you can both get through this.  The wounds often look terrible to start with and you will be amazed at how well it can all work out, but it can take many months before you get there.

My advice is to carry on with your normal life as much as possible but to avoid anything too strenuous, although you should talk to your doctor about what activities you can and can't do.

Keep your chin up and good luck with everything.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Healing open wound after breast reduction

+2

Dear Anniebelle.  Sorry to hear about your hematoma/open wound.  Depending on the size of the open wound, it could takes months to heal.  If you want it to heal faster, make sure you are getting good nutrition.  Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables along with lean protein sources.  Avoid junk food or processed food.  If you smoke, you need to stop immediately.  If you aren't taking any vitamins, start taking multivitamins/multiminerals that come from natural sources.  Avoid synthetic vitamins because they often do more harm then good.  (Most vitamins in pharmacies or discount stores are cheap synthetics).  Go to a natural food store to get good vitamins.  Also, take lots of Vitamin C in the Ester-C form.  I recommend 500-1,000mg three times per day for my patients.  These vitamins and nutrients will give your body the proper building blocks to help you heal faster.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.natural-lookingresults.com

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma and Open Wound after Breast Reduction?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced;  you will be amazed however how good the breasts can look in the long term for patients who have  experienced these types of complications. The important thing is to continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to provide treatment recommendations as well as activity level guidance.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Wound Complication after Breast Reduction

+1

Sorry to hear about your complication after surgery. There are various ways to take care of open wounds. Among these, wet to dry dressings, ointments and dry dressings, and wound vacs are the most common. Your surgeon's clinical evaluation will be the guide to the best treatment in you situation. It will take time to heal. And, the description of your treatment plan sounds reasonable. If your surgeon gave you instructions to remain inactive, not to use your arms or drive, there may be reason for this based on the condition of your particular wound.

Thank you for your question. Best wishes!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Vacuum system can help heal breast reduction wound.

+1

Hi.

There are two possible alternatives:

1)  Take you back to the operating room, scrape the wound clean, and then close the incisions.

2)  Apply a vacuum wound system which can really speed up the healing.

Open wound after breast reduction

+1

Sounds like you should closely follow your doctor's instructions.   A hematoma and open wound need to be followed closely.  Good luck.

Hematoma after breast reduction

+1
I am sorry to hear that you have had a hematoma. Healing does take time. Only your doctor will know what restrictions should apply to your particular case. In the event that the scar that is created by the secondary healing isn't satisfactory, this can be revised at a later date but, rest assured, you will go on to heal.

Hello

+1

Every office has their own way of treating such problems. Will it heal? Is your question, Yes it will. Make sure you do as your PS advised and keep area clean. You should have normal movement of your arms; just no heavy lifting is what we tell our patients. Good luck

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.