Large, Hard Mass 4 Weeks Post-op Tummy Tuck

I'm not sure if this is normal, I've been passing it off as if it is. I'm 4 weeks post op tt and hernia repair. I am in a lot of discomfort still. I have a large and hard mass in my upper abdomen that forms pretty much as soon as I get out of bed. I didn't mention this to my dr as I thought it was just part of recovery. At my last appointment 4wks she told me I could start walking and cycling for exercise. Honestly, it takes everything out of me discomfort-wise to get through the regular day.

Tummy Tuck

+1

At 4 weeks, you are still fresh from the surgery.  If you only have the hard area after getting out of bed, and it is gone while in bed, I would attribute this to likely inflammation, edema, or a combination of the two and your activity level may be a little high.  We use vela shape in very low settings to reduce the firmness and inflammation and have good success.  But this must be overseen by the Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Abdomenal mass after tummy tuck

+1

From your description, it does appear that you have an issue that definitely has to be discussed with your PS.  You could possibly have a fluid collection (seroma), a recurrent hernia, failure of your plication or other complication that needs to be discussed with your PS. I would schedule an appt asap.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1

From your description you have a post op complication that you should make your chosen surgeon aware of, immediately. 

Large hard mass after tummy tuck

+1

A large hard mass 4 weeks after a tummy tuck is not quite normal and should be checked out with your surgeon. It could be an area of muscle weakness or even an area of fat necrosis. A clinical examination will easily establish if this is anything to worry about.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hard Mass After Tummy Tuck

+1

There are a few possibilities that may be causing your issue.  Fluid collections, such as seroma, can form and may be more noticeable when you stand up.  If this is the case, it can easily be drained in the office.  The second option is that the diastasis repair has come undone or loosed, and the muscles have separated.  If this is the case, you will need another surgery.  The only way to know is for your surgeon to examine you and possibly having some imaging done such as an ultrasound or CT scan.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD