Should I Have Large Gaps Between my 4 in 1 Dental Implants and the Gum Line?

I have a complete set to 4 on 1 tooth implants upper and lower. Is it normal that there is large gaps between the implants and the gum line, that I can feel my implant post in this gap and that you can see the screw holes even after they are sealed.

Spaces under the hybrid prosthesis

+2

Hybrid prosthesis is a great treatment modality and has been used for a while now. The great advantages are that it gives you a comfort of having fixed prosthesis, excellent ability to chew and aesthetics.  You have to remember that like everything in life different treatment options have advantages and disadvantages, and the disadvantage of this kind of prosthesis is that space that you are talking about. Sometimes it is bigger sometimes it can be smaller, but main reason for that space is that you could keep the implants clean. If you feel that the space is excessive, changes can be made and every Implant Prosthodontist knows how to do that. I would recommend to go to the same dentist who made those prosthesis for you and let him know about your concerns. If your doctor agrees that space is too big he can fix it, and it is an easy fix. Good luck!

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

All on 4, gap between gum and implant

+2

It really depends on what type of case the dentist was doing.  Some dentists want the gap so the patient can clean the area much better.  Other dentists do a hybrid case where the prothesis is up against the gum and there is not gap.   Much harder to clean for patients.  Ask the dentist who did the work to get a better idea if it is normal.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

All-on-4 Denture fit.

+2

The all-on-4 dental implant protocol is different between offices. The initial, temporary, bridge may have some gaps to allow for cleaning. Other schools of thought make the fit tight as to mould the gums and prevent ingress of food particles. Similar designs are made for the final bridge i.e with small gaps for cleaning or tight fit. The size of the gaps should be large enough to allow a brush, floss threader or waterpik to enable cleaning you should probably not feel the posts. Hope this helps.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

All On Four Dental Implant Prosthesis

+1

I believe the "Gap" you are referring to is the normal spacing between the dental implant abutments securing your hybrid denture.  Since all of your teeth in each arch ( a total of 16) were replaced by a total of only 4 implants, there is going to be a large space between them.  This is ok and to be expected.  If you are able to actually see the implants or abutments, the denture was most likely fabricated so it would be easier for you to clean.  There are different ways to fabricate the denture for attachment to the implants, so this should be discussed with the dentist that made the denture which attaches to your implants. 

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implants are a great subsitutue for missing teeth

+1

The best  is to ask your dentist. Every patient's case presents the doctor certain limitations at times that even if one wanted to have no gaps, sometimes it may happen. But it quiet can  be a case of keeping a gap for ease of hygiene.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

All on 4, Dental Implants, Teeth in a Day

+1

The question is how long have you had the implant and hybrid denture?  If it has been a number of years, you may have some bone loss around the implants or adjacent spaces.  This can cause the gaps.  If it is a consistent problem, then a reline might help.

If you feel the post of the implants then I would definitely have a dentist check this out.

Hope this helps.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist