Ask a doctor

What Are My Options For A Large Mons Pubis? Costs?

Im about 5'3 and weigh around 145 lbs. I've always had a very large mons pubis but i've been losing weight and it looks even bigger. its all fat down there. Im incredibly self conscious about this, I cant wear tight dresses and when i go to the beach im embarrassed to go without shorts because my mons pubis is so fat. I desperately need to know what surgery can help this, will the area be completely flat after surgery? and the average cost? please help!

Doctor Answers (11)

Pubis Lift Explained

Essentially the pubis lift is a procedure that addresses both extra bulk from too much fat as well as redundant skin and underlying soft tissue. The procedure is tailored to your needs. Always see a board certified plastic surgeon for this procedure.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Mons Pubis Surgery?


Thank you for the question.

It is not unusual for the pubic area to be an area of concern. This area may be large ( prominent) , ptotic (low), or deflated.    How to best address your specific concerns will depend on physical examination. Generally, treatment will involve excision of excess/ ptopic skin plus or minus liposuctioning.

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 793 reviews

Cosmetic surgery of the mons pubis


Depending on the situation, cosmetic improvement of the mons pubis can involve direct excision, lifting and contouring with liposuction or direct excision of fat or a combination. In order to determine what would be best for you, seek out a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

You might also like...

Prominent Mons Pubis


I find the best way to correct a prominent mons pubis is through a combination of liposuction and surgical excision with lifting.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Options for a Large Mons Pubis


Liposuction is a common way of reducing a mons if the skin is not too lax. An excision can be done also. See a Board Certified plastic surgeon to get more details. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

What Are My Options For A Large Mons Pubis? Costs?


Coincidence!!!! I just operated on a woman with the same issue (it showed thru her clothing), although she had undergone a Tummy Tuck years ago by a different surgeon. Liposuction is probably all that you will need, although on some occasions a lift of the skin down there is done as well. That will be up to you and your doctor as to the best approach but it does work.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Reduction for a large mons pubis


Reduction of the mons area is fairly common and we accomplish this often with ultrasonic liposuction. The issue can be one of weight, though just as often it is about genetics and inherited body shape. You can determine the amount of fat by feeling over the pubic bone and get an idea of how flat you might be.

Best of luck,

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Mons Pubis


The options for treatment include liposuction for just excess fatty tissue and/or excision of skin and fat if you have sagging of the mons since this will not be corrected with liposuction alone. 

Donald Griffin, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Mons Pubis Liposuction


You are not alone.  Many patients come in seeking treatment for the mons pubis.  Treatment is usually straightforward with liposuction.  If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific recommendations.


Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Improving the Mons pubis is straightforward


The mon pubis or the area of pubic hair growth in front of the pubic bone is a common area to look out of proportion in men and women who have been overweight. The solutions are varied depending on the needs and goals of each patient.

For many patients the subcutaneous fat layer in this location resists changes to diet and exercise. This region can also stretch and droop down which also contributes to unwanted bulging. Finally, the contours of this area are also exageratted after C-section surgery or other procedures that place a scar horizontally across the lower abdomen.

The localized fat excess can be addressed with various liposuction techniques ( I prefer SmartLipo Triplex), laxity can be addressed with lifting procedures as part of a Tummy Tuck or as an isolated approach. If severe skin laxity or drooping is present then a surgical reduction of the mons pubis soft tissues can also be done with predictable and positive lasting results. An experienced Plastic Surgeon is the place to start your search for a solution - but a solution is certainly available.

good luck!

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.