Can a Large Diastasis Recti Be Fixed by a Tummy Tuck?

I just can't imagine that this can be repaired to where my stomach would be flat. I would like to hear different opinions as I can't really find anything online about it.

Diastasis can be repaired with tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for including your photo, it helps me in formulating my response.  The simple answer is that, yes, a diastasis can be repaired during a tummy tuck.  However, how well this repair holds up is dependant on the amount of intraabdominal fat, ie the fat that is inside your abdomen, behind your diastasis.  If a diastasis is repaired before adequate weight loss there is a greater chance the repair will fail and the diastasis return.  I suggest a balanced diet and a good excercise regiment to get your weight into a normal range before any surgery.  Your surgery will be safer and the results better.

Tummy tuck alternatives

+2

Thanks for including the picture.  A tummy tuck is capable of fixing a rectus diastasis, but it will unlikely give you a flat abdomen.  You would have improvement, but the extent of improvement is limited by intra abdominal fat (under the muscle) which is unchanged by abdominoplasty.  Bariatric procedures such as the lap band, gastric bypass, and others will assist with Intra abdominal weight loss, but, most would agree that good old diet and exercise is the best.  In short, a tummy tuck and lipo would, without question, improve your abdomen.  But, you would be much better served to approach this surgery following some loss of intraabdominal excess.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

A Large Tummy Muscle Separation CAN be Repaired

+2
Your question and photograph touch upon several points. - A large muscle separation CAN be repaired. However, the quality of the duration dependon the absence of inta-abdominal fat AND a good nutritional state without a condition of ongoing coughing. - Obesity is NOT our friend. A significant quantity of fat inside the belly limits the degree of muscle repair (in addition to worsening Diabetes) and a large amount of fat under the skin prevents removal of all excess skin and complete flattening of the tummy with a tummy tuck. As a result, a muscle repair CAN be done but its tightness would be compromised by obesity as would the amount of tummy flattness achievable with aTummy Tuck. Dr. Peter Aldea

Flat stomach after Tummy Tuck

+2

You are right. Your stomach cannot be made flat with a Tummy Tuck. The reason is that you need to lose weight first to reduce the intraabdominal fat which is partially responsible for the prominence of your stomach. This means that your BMI needs to be significantly less than 30 and, preferably, less than 25. Once the excess fat is no longer present under the abdominal muscles (and the diastasis) a Tummy Tuck will flatten your stomach very nicely.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Large diastasis recti can be corrected with tummy tuck.

+2

Hi.

Tummy tuck can really produce a flat stomach. The steps are correction of the diastasis, liposuction, and removal of redundant skin and fat.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Large Diastasis Recti Be Fixed by a Tummy Tuck

+2

Yes this can be repaired and I might use a large mesh in addition. Have you seen boarded surgeons to discuss. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Abdominal muscle splitting (rectus diastasis) can be fixed with a tummy tuck

+2

From your photo, it appears as though you may greatly benefit from a tummy tuck followed by liposuction several months afterward.  As it's hard to determine the amount of diastasis you have without examining you, I'll take your word that you have some.  During a tummy tuck, the abdominal muscles are brought together back in the middle and this also leads to a flatter stomach.  If you'd like to have an even flatter abdomen, you may want to entertain the idea of full abdominal and hip liposuction after you've healed from your tummy tuck.  All in all, it looks as though you can get an excellent result from a tummy tuck with liposuction.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Diastasis and tummy tuck

+1

One of the benefits to having a tummy tuck is to treat a diastais of themuscles by tightening the overlying fascia. This is in addition to removing the excess skin and fat.

Rectus muscle repair

+1

Based on the photo and the information you provided, you would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck procedure. A standard (full) tummy tuck procedure involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of excess skin and tissue. Liposuction may be included as well to achieve better body contours. Permanent sutures are used to repair the muscle diastasis. Results may vary depending on the severity and complexity of your personal case. However, in order to achieve the best results possible, I suggest reaching your ideal goal weight prior to proceeding with surgery. This will enhance your overall improved look and prevent any need for additional surgery. I recommend consulting a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest options for you. Following your surgeons pre and post-op instructions to prevent any complications. Good luck.

Abdominoplasty benefits

+1

I think that a very pleasant abdominal contour can be acheived with a full abdominoplasty procedure.  This would correct abdominal wall laxity and skin and fat excess. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS