Treatment for Large, Deep Burn Scar?

When I was about two years old I accidentally fell back on a large cooking pot that had very hot water, I burn my whole back. Now I'm seveteen and I was wondering if there was any treatment that could removed the scars. Can treatments like Fraxel Laser remove these old burn scars, that are about 14 years old? The scars are very deep.

Laser not likely to provide significant burn scar improvements

+2

It is unlikely that a laser will provide any significant improvements in a deep burn scar.

It is more likely that tissue expander reconstruction will provide you with the best reconstructive options.

Burn scar treatment with FX laser

+1

Burn scars can be softened up and improved with the FX laser (fractionated CO2 laser).  The scars will always be there but the skin can feel looser.  Around the face and neck patients are able to turn their heads better.  For discoloration in burns a different laser is used to get out the excess pigmentation.  Good luck.  

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Burn scars on back

+1

It really depends upon how deep the burn was , how large it was, and how it was originally treated. If it was a 3rd degree burn or worse and was very large, the likelihood to improve it with any modality may be difficult( i.e surgery or unlikely laser for color changes). If it was superficial and is a pigment issue, then lasers to adjust the color may be helpful. Large deep burned areas are usually treated initially with skin grafting which leave a quilt like appearance to the skin. Sometimes using tissue expanders or local flaps as secondary procedures will allow recruitment of "normal" looking skin into the area. However, you will always have some sort of scar from one form of surgery or another.