If I Have a Large Brow Bone (Deep Set Eyes) Will I Look Alot Different After Surgery

Do people with a large brow bone look very different after surgery. It's not that large but I noticed that I really don't have that much skin/fat on my eyelid. However, my upper eyelid is medically necessary. I just don't want the surgery to be a dramatic change. Should I say something to the surgeon?

Talking to your surgeon

+2

Yes, you should not be afraid to talk with your surgeon about your concerns and your expectations from surgery.  Part of finding a good surgeon is finding someone with great technical skill but also communication skills.  You don't specific exactly what surgery(s) you are planning on having, so it is difficult to give you more specific advice. However, the goal with all patients should be a natural result.

Good Luck.

Deep set eyes and eyelid surgery

+2

You may consider computer imaging to give you a better idea whether you will like the result of the upper eyelid surgery. You may be a better candidate for endoscopic forehead lift than upper eyelid surgery. Remember, the upper eyelid surgery will reduce the distance between upper eyelashes and the brow. Endoscopic forehead lift will increase this distance.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep Set Eyes and Eyelid Surgery

+2

Although my opinion is limited by a single photograph and a lack of a physical examination, the simple answer is that well performed upper eyelid surgery should make you look refreshed, and not like a different person.  There is no question in the photo the there are clear indications for upper lid Blepharoplasty in the right upper lid, which are not immediately obvious in the left.  If upper eyelid Blepharoplasty is performed, the approach on the left should be much more conservative.  In general, and especially in patients with prominent orbital rims (deeps set eyes), I use a muscle preserving technique in order to avoid a hollowed out look.  Since there is no apparent evidence of medial fat pseudo-herniation, I would not remove any orbital fat which also can lead to a more aged look.  It is definitely best to sit down again with your Surgeon and voice your concerns.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lid Lift in Deep Set Eyes

+2

As previously mentioned, you should clearly delineate your goals with your surgeon and be certain that you are both in agreement preoperatively.  Having said that, most surgeons do not like to remove fat from deep set eyes since this furthers the sunken in, aged appearance of the face.  Moreover, most surgeons are quite conservative and all are very judicious with the amount of skin removed during an eyelid lift as a shortage of skin will lead to dryness of the eye and may rarely even cause blindness.  Thus, definitely speak with your surgeon and go over the surgical plan preoperatively.  You may even want to add fillers to the area around your cheek-lower lid junction.  Best wishes in achieving your goals.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Please have a very explicit discussion with your surgeon.

+2

Dear Egg Harbor

Don't leave this to chance.  Your surgeon does not read your mind.  Please don't assume that their vision of facial aesthetics matches your own.  There is a real risk here that you and your surgeon are not even on the same planet regarding expectation.  At least it is occuring to you ahead of surgery to think about these issues.  It does not matter what speciality your surgeon practices.  If they do not seem to get what you want ( and please bring them photos of actresses and models that suggest what your are looking for) get busy and see other surgeons.  Fixing these types of problems after the fact is next to impossible.

Looking different after surgery.

+1

If you see an experienced brow lift surgeon, you can have your hairline lowered and your brow raised and only look rested. You will "kill 2 birds with one stone" and have a better result that is more natural than eyelid surgery. See an experienced browlift surgeon.

Eyelid surgery

+1

You should always voice your concerns to your surgeon to make sure that the two of you are in sync with what you want to accomplish with yoru surgery.