Breast Lift vs. Lift w/ Implants for Upper Pole Fullness

I am torn between having a lift only OR a lift with an implant to get the upper pole fullness. To add the implant I would require a reduction as I do not want larger breasts as am I a D cup now. Can I get a small implant (250cc) and accomplish what I desire? After 5 consults I have 2 doctors that recommend w/ implant and 3 without.

Breast lift with breast implants

+2

Usually, to get significant upper pole fullness of the breasts it is necessary to get combine breast lift with augmentation with breast implants. In few cases, when there is signifcant excess breast tissue, it can be used to augment the upper pole. these would cases such as breast reduction.

Upper Pole Fullness and Breast Lifting?

+1

This is an area where you  can expect to get different advice from different surgeons.

In my opinion, the best way to achieve longer  term upper pole fullness  this with sub muscular breast implants. Breast lifting/reduction may be necessary to manage the lower poles  of the breasts  so as to not significantly increase breast size. Some of my happiest patients who have undergone “breast lifting” surgery have in reality had breast augmentation of the superior poles of the breast and breast reduction of the lower poles of the breast.

Lift with implants or lift only?

+1

If you are a D cup and have a lift, the weight of the breasts will eventually cause it to settle as nobody beats gravity and no ones tissues get better with time.  A lift may initially give you some upper pole fullness but it will not last due to the breasts settling.  Adding a breast implant to a breast reduction at the same time does not make sense to me as they are each trying to accomplish opposing goals.  To minimize your possibility of problems you may consider having a reduction/lift done 1st.  This allows the breast to be reduced and lifted and shaped better and saves you the cost of  implants and possible future costs of dealing with those implants.  If you like the appearance of your breasts after the 1st operation ( as about 80% of my patients do ), then you have come out ahead.  If you wish more upper pole fullness, you can consider an augmentation at a later date, when the tissue have all settled and relaxed to their final position and positioning of the implant is likely to be more precise.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

+1

Keep in mind a breast lift and an augmentation are working in opposite directions.  The implant is heavy and will tend to fall.  The breast lift is an operation to pull the breast up.  You see --tow different directions.  If you can have an operation without the implant and achieve the same results then you should consider it.

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Lift or implants

+1

If you have a "D" cup and you are sagging, then I would probably suggest a lift only .  If you want more volume then you are atlaking about an implant.

Lift vs Lift with implants

+1

In my opinion, breast implants should be used if you want larger breasts. The idea of an implant combined with a breast reduction does not make much sense. Also, the size of implant should be determined by your measurements and soft tissue characteristics. Often and implant that is too small can look just as bad as an implant that is too big. 

Jeremy Waldman, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and reduction

+1

If you are happy with the current size of your breast and only want your breasts lifted, then you would be a candidate for a breast lift.  It does not make sense, in my opinion, to do a breast reduction and add an implant.  Make sure your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - certified plastic surgeon

St Louis Plastic Surgery Consutants

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon