I Have Large "Black Triangles" 3 mm Wide Between my Front Teeth, Are Crowns a Good Option?

I have large "black triangles" between my front teeth. They are about 3 mm wide. I wanted to cover up these spaces. My dentist said these spaces are too big for veneers, and he recommended crowns. He said that because of the large spaces, veneers will have more chance of infection since the teeth are only covered on one side. I heard that crowns are more invasive because I will loose even more tooth structure. I am in my mid 50s. My insurance will mostly pay for the crowns.

Closing a 3mm gap between front teeth.

+1

Before you start treatment you need to discuss all your options with your dentist. The situation that you are describing may need a multidisciplinary approach such as the use of orthodontics, periodontics and restorative/cosmetic dentistry to achieve a stable functional esthetic result. Make sure that you do not make your decision on what your insurance will pay for as this may not be what is best for your case. Good luck. I would love to see a before and after picture.

San Diego Cosmetic Dentist

"Black triangles" between central teeth

+1

"Black trianles" usually indicate the loss of interdental papilla and are a sign of bone loss between the teeth. In the situation when the size of these empty spaces that are supposed to be filled with gum tissue is increasing with time - the patient needs periodontal evalution first. Unfortunately, bone loss and loss of interdental papilla is an age-related problem. One should keep in mind, that in order to achieve long-term stable result and veneers/crowns will have stable contour - the underlying bone and gum should be disease free. These cases can require periodontal surgery or grafting before any restorative treatment can be planned. Such cases should be carefully planned with specialists (periodontist, prosthodontist) and require comprehensive evaluation.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Get an Cosmetic/Orthodontic(Braces) Consult First

+1

Gaps inbetween teeth can be filled by many techniques. 1-The most ideal way to close a dark triangle is by wearing braces to close the front space, even if you have space further back.  2-Both veneers and crowns can also close dark spaces but you must be very careful.  Insurance companys don't care what you look like.  If you have spaces and fill them will you have 2 GIGANTIC teeth?  You can ask your dentist to do a wax up and let him show you what you would look like if you close the space.  Depending on why you have a big space, including having a periodontal examination, you should be able to determine what is right for you.  Much success-

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Veneers and crowns are options to improve your smile, it depends mostly where the problem is coming from. I always recommend to patients to have a comprehensive evaluation of your smile. It sounds like your feel untrusted of your dentist explanation, if you feel so. Go ahead and search for a dentist that focus on cosmetic dentistry and provides an aesthetic vision. Look for before and after photos similar to your case. That will give you and idea and for you to be easier to make a decision. I do not like the fact i can not give you a straight answer, but i least some guidance will help you. 

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Large Black Triangles between front teeth

+1

If you are presenting to your dentist with a cosmetic concern as this, it can be a difficult situation to correct.  Depending on th esize of your front teeth, you have a few options.  First, if your teeth are of normal size, veneers can be placed to close the space. Also a gum graft by a periodontist (gum and bone specialist) can be considered.  This is not an easy fix but if it can be done then it is very cosmetically natural looking.  Often when teeth have such a large area of missing gum tissue, there is bone loss underneath the gums as well.  I would tell you to visit a cosmetic dentist in your area for a complete evaluation and a potential referral to a periodontist. 

Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

Closing Black Triangles With Crowns

+1

To give you an accurate answer it would be very beneficial to see some photos of your teeth.  I will say that many times black triangles can be closed with all porcelain crowns.  You will want to make sure that these triangles are not the result of progressive gum disease to ensure that they do not continue after having the crowns placed.  In addition, make sure to see a dentist that does cosmetic dentistry consistently and is confident with these types of cases.  The laboratory that is used is also crucial in the aesthetic success of these cases. 

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Black triangles corrected with crowns

+1

The short answer is yes...crowns, in the hands of a skilled cosmetic dentist, using a highly skilled dental laboratory technician, can eliminate "black triangles." These can be caused by missing gum tissue/bone loss or poor tooth position/shape, or a combination of these two. A dentist will evaluate which of these is the cause, and help you decide what is the best way to correct your problem. This may require treatment with a gum-tissue specialist, or Periodontist, before any crowns can be made. Also, discussions between your dentist and her dental laboratory technician prior to treatment will ensure the best possible result. As far as more or less removal of tooth structure with crowns versus veneers, the lab and dentist can only "make magic happen" when the stage is properly set. A cosmetic dentist is trained to remove as little tooth structure as possible in order to give you the final result you seek, so let your dentist do her job the best way she can!

Ottawa Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns or Veneers can fix black triangles between teeth

+1

Your question is a difficult one to answer. Yes veneers can fix black triangles but the dentist needs to know what to do with getting the tooth ready for the veneer. This way the lab technician can give you the best result. It is more important to know why the black triangle happened. You should see a periodontist an be evaluated before starting this type of cosmetic procedure.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

What to do with black triangle between front teeth.

+1

I am always after finding the cause and resolving the problem first then treating the symptoms. You first need to see why it happened. If it has a periodontal origin, you need to treat the gums and bone first. Consult with a periodontist, make sure the triangle will not get larger in the future.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Black triangle problem

+1

Is the 3mm measured from the base of the sulcus to the contact point? Or is it measured from tooth to tooth at the gumline? A crown is able to fill out the triangle from the lingual with more porcelain being added to give an effect of closing the gap and a veneer would requiremore aggressive preperation to wrap around the interproximal of the tooth and if the prep is in dentin then the bond may not be very dependable. Veneers are good to close some space and in situations that all or most preperation is done entirely in enamel. If the prep is in dentin mostly i like to move to a full crown to get better peace of mind it will not debond or fall off.

Wichita Cosmetic Dentist