Large Bag Under Eye After Blepharoplasty? (photo)

3 months ago I had: Mid face lift with lateral orbital rim suspension and and Upper eyelid bilateral belpharoplasty with simply skin removal. Three months latter, I have a large bag under my right eye. A week ago, my doctor reopened the incision to the right eye to explore the area for fat, extra skin or muscle displacement. He removed extra skin. I was optimistic that this would get rid of the bag under my eye. A week latter the bag is still there. I am scared. What went wrong. Help Pls.

Lower Eyelid Swelling After Midface Lift

+2

Judging from your description of the operation you had I assume you had a transblepharoplasty vertical midface lift. After this type of operation retained swelling in the lower eyelids is common. The swelling you refer to does not look like fat to me at all. Swelling due to lymphatic drainage issues can take months to resolve and shouldn't require further surgery which can actually make things worse. Gently massage can sometimes be helpful.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Redundant Skin or Extra Muscle

+2

Thank you for your photos.  A preoperative photo would be helpful.  I don't know if anything went wrong.  You may a redundant muscle in that area that requires removal.  I would wait another 3 months to see where you are with that eyelid.

Dr. ES

Puffiness under the eye after surgery.

+2

You are still early in recovery but not THAT early.  You seem to have some residual puffiness in the left eyelid area that could be swelling or it could be re herniated or residual fat.  Think positive.  Only time will tell.   So what to do.  You can massage and go the warm cold compress route and all that but remember 97 % is time related.  You can only influence your eyelid 3% if you are lucky.  Of course watch your salt input and sleep with head elevated and all that but 3% is all you can influence.  Talk to your doctor and ask for his regimen.  At six months you will be 90% where you are going to end up.  My best,  Dr C

Web reference: http://www.gcommonsmdplasticsurgery.com

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Large Bag Under Eye After Blepharoplasty?

+2

STOP everything!! Allow 6 months of healing with massages if OKed by your surgeon. To me this could be swelling issue due to lymphatic drainage being delayed by ALL the surgeries! 

Blepharoplasty

+2
At this time it is too soon to evaluate the result of your surgery. Swelling after eyelid surgery, specially a revision surgery may take more than 6 months to resolve.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid further surgery of the eyelid at this time

+2

At this point it is time to give it a break.  Allow yourself to heal. In 4 - 6 months re-evaluate the problem and a treatment plan can be developed. 

+2

At one week, there is still swelling in the area.  You cannot make an assessment about this at this time.  In addition, relaxed photos should be provided to allow the results to be judged.  When smiling, many people will have the appearance of bags, even very young patients who do not need any form of eyelid surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Upper-and-Lower-Eyelids.php

Hard to judge the results of a blepharoplasty when the patient is smiling.

+2

The photograph demonstrates activation of the orbicularis muscle evidence by the contour irregularities around the eye. This makes evaluation of the postoperative result impossible.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,22-atlanta-eyelid.htm