Laproscopic Diastasis with Mesh Needed? (photo)

I have 2 months to decide if i want to go through with a Lapro surgery to fix my diastasis. He wants to cut out the middle part and suture my stomach muscles together and bind it in mesh to make it stronger. I am no longer allowed to have kids so pregnancy is not a problem. He said the surgery was in and out that same day and recovery time is 6 weeks. He was kinda pushy on the surgery and i am not sure if i should get it done. My diastasis is very high and wide and doesnt cause me any real symps

Tummy tuck

+1

Seems like you have some extra skin so you could have at least a mini tuck. I always do the repair open. I think it is technically too hard to do it laparascopically and almost everyone has some extra skin

Diastasis

+1

A few plastic surgeons have reported on laparoscopic treatment of rectus diastasis, but the vast majority of plastic surgeons still perform it the traditional way, that is, as part of a tummy tuck with skin excision.That is definitely what I would recommend for you-- a standard full tummy tuck with muscle repair  and no mesh.  Granted there will be a scar, but I believe your overall result will be superior. Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Diastasis repair

+1

Thanks for your question.  I would get other opinions becuase you do not appear to have a healthy relationship with your surgeon if you thought he/she was pushy.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Laparascopic approach for diastasis recti repair not adequate

+1

Dear Jeni,

Thank you for your question and photos. A laparoscopic approach does not provide adequate exposure nor is the correct technique to correct your problem. My advice is to have an open procedure where complete exposure of all the related anatomy is easily visualized. An abdominoplasty with large mesh will adequately correct and re establish normal physiology. There are 2 very informative research papers written about the subject. Please refer to the attached link for more information on the subject.

Kind regards,

Dr. H 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

A full tummy tuck is likely your best option.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

A full tummy tuck is likely your best option if you want a good repair and for it to look good on the outside.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Laproscopic Diastasis with Mesh Needed?

+1

Based upon your photos posted I can not recommend endo repair. You need open technique to obtain a chance of a good stable repair. 

Only full tummy tuck will help you.

+1

Hi.

From your pictures, you do not need laparoscopic surgery.  Either have the excess skin and fat removed (and the diastasis repaired) with a good tummy tuck, or leave things alone.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Diastasis and Tummy Tucks

+1

As previously stated their is no need to rush or feel pushed into this operation.  Diastasis corrections are an elective operation that can be done at our leisure.  If you do not feel comfortable with the situation seek a second opinion.  As the other physicians have stated, diastasis repair is commonly done during a tummy tuck and usually does not have  to be cut out to be repaired.  That plan would seem, in my opinion, would have more potential for complications.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is a better option

+1

As Dr. Gottlieb said, the plan given to you for what you have isn't the normal one we would see.  No urgency at all either.  Likely nothing will happen to you even if left unrepaired as a diastasis is not a hernia.  In a tummy tuck, the diastasis is repaired without cutting it out, without the need for mesh, and it removes the excess skin and fat in your lower abdomen for a tight flat look.  See some plastic surgeons for further discussion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Elective repair of diastasis

+1

If you are not having symptoms (as is the case for essentially all patients with diastasis), you needn't allow yourself to feel pressured. It is unlikely that you will develop symptoms in the future, and it is unlikely that this will get worse to such an extent that it couldn't be repaired later.

This is not an urgent problem. Find a surgeon with whom you are comfortable. 

I cannot tell if this is something your insurance is covering, as it usually is not. If you are paying cash for this anyway, you might consider having this done open and having a tummy tuck done at the same time for a more complete correction of what is essentially a cosmetic problem.