Laporotomy and Two Pregnancies Cause Abdominal Wall to Weaken?

Would a laparotomy for endometriosis and two pregnancies cause abdominal wall to weaken? How can I tell if I have muscle separation?

+2

Yes, either or both can weaken the abdominal wall. It is easiest to tell if you have muscle separation by lying on the floor and commencing to do a sit up. If you have a muscle separation, you will see a characteristic bulge, especially in the upper abdomen,, that is longitudinal in orientation. A hernia can occur, particularly after laparotomy, and the bulge may be more localized.

Your physician or a plastic surgeon can help with the diagnosis. Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Weak abdomen after laparotomy

+1

A ventra hernia can occur after abdominal surgery and weaken the abdomen. If your incision is midline it can be difficult to tell the difference between a diastasis and a hernia, though your surgeon, perhaps with the help of a CT scan will be able to sort things out.