LapBand Revision During Tummy Tuck?

My lap band was placed in Dec of '07, and it never really worked right - I had it confirmed via flouroscopy in '09 that the band itself was leaking and I needed to have it replaced. I didn't have the money for that, so I dieted and exercised on my own, using what little restriction I had from the band. To date, I've lost 110 lbs, and am now getting a full tummy tuck. My plastic surgeon recommended a colleague of his to do the band revision...has anyone encountered this? Any ideas about cost?

Tummy tuck with simultaneous LapBand revision

+1

Since you have lost 110 lbs without using the LapBand, there is probably no need to revise it.  I have performed abdominoplasties in the presence of LapBand's without difficulty.  However, if you do want to revise the LapBand (unless a complication such a stomach or intestinal injury occurs) you can do the tummy tuck at the same time.  It is very common in my practice to do open tubal ligation at the same time of abdominoplasty without increase of complications.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Combining A Tummy Tuck And Lap Band Revision

+1

As long as you have a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon that are willing to work together, I do not see any major problems with combining these two procedures together. It is very common to do large hernia repairs at the same time with an abdominal panniculectomy without undue problems...although your recovery will be longer than that of a tummy tuck done alone. Costs would have to be determined on an individual surgeon and facility basis.

Web reference: http://www.eppleytummytuck.com

Combining an intra-abdominal surgery and a tummy tuck is probably not a great idea.

+1

In general combining an intra-abdominal surgery (such as lap band revision) and a tummy tuck is probably not a great idea as it increases the risk of intra-abdominal infection and band infection.  The risk is small but the complication severe if it happens.  In my opinion it is not worth it.  Better to keep them separate.

I am personally not aware of any plastic surgeon that combines intra-abdominal procedures and tummy tucks.  Sometimes women having C-section get a panniculectomy at the time of their C-section, which is a combination of intra- and extra-abdominal surgery.  However I would still recommend keeping them apart, unless your PS has done this several times before.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Web reference: http://www.plastica.ca

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.